Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Hammond 159zl as clc choke
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th June 2020, 03:10 PM   #51
eduard is offline eduard  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to eduard
Hello,
Of course these crossover coils or real chokes have an infinite lifetime when you dont overload them with a current that will make wire/isolation evaporate.
If you are willing to '' accept '' a dcr of 0,5 ohm there are real iron core chokes that will offer much better filtering. If 2,2 mH works 40mH probably works better. If you dont try you will never know. You can measure the influence of the coil/choke by using an AC meter. Lundahl because of their construction with two coils on one core have less influence on their surroundings.
Greetings, Eduard
Old 28th June 2020, 11:05 PM   #52
jasonb84 is offline jasonb84  Canada
diyAudio Member

Yes, measuring the ripple is as simple as that. When I tried to measure ripple after the chokes were in I had a hard time getting the scope to trigger on the wave. Also had to go to my lowest setting on V/div.

The typical diyaudio store power supply board is fitted for parallel 0.47ohm resistors. I came across the recommendation to stay around the same 0.11 DCR as a group of four R on the board. There would be an increase in voltage drop but how much will the extra inductance add to the filtering potential?

Is there a practical limit to total inductance based on the current used by the supply? And how about amorphous core?
Old 29th June 2020, 02:08 AM   #53
Fully Articulated is offline Fully Articulated  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoch58 View Post
why not use a separate case for psu ?
work very good and nice for multiple future pw-amp...

You're right, and I did consider it, but I simply don't have the room for multiple boxes. Instead, the PSU has been designed to be easily disconnected from the amp boards so those can be swapped out when I feel like it.
Old 29th June 2020, 02:09 AM   #54
Ben Mah is offline Ben Mah  Canada
diyAudio Member

In my push-pull amps I build with CRC supply, with 44mF - 0.12R - 44mF. With my single ended amps I build with CLC supply, with 44mF - Hammond 159ZJ - 44mf.

The Hammond 159ZJ is 15mH 0.16R.

PSU Designer simulations show for CRC the ripple is around 70mV and for CLC the ripple was about 2mV. Results may vary depending on the capacitor ESR and current demand.

The CRC 70mV was for 2.6A. For 1.8A, the ripple was 50mA . For CLC, the ripple was also reduced, to around 1.3mV.

Of course these are simulation results but the real life results will be in the same range.
Attached Images
File Type: png CRC.png (174.0 KB, 96 views)
File Type: png CLC.png (176.9 KB, 99 views)
Old 29th June 2020, 02:23 AM   #55
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonb84 View Post
Yes, measuring the ripple is as simple as that. When I tried to measure ripple after the chokes were in I had a hard time getting the scope to trigger on the wave. Also had to go to my lowest setting on V/div.

The typical diyaudio store power supply board is fitted for parallel 0.47ohm resistors. I came across the recommendation to stay around the same 0.11 DCR as a group of four R on the board. There would be an increase in voltage drop but how much will the extra inductance add to the filtering potential?

Is there a practical limit to total inductance based on the current used by the supply? And how about amorphous core?

Cheers for that info.

I'll have to check my notes, but if I recall correctly from the modelling I've done in PSUD, simply moving from CRC to CLC is a more significant improvement re: ripple than is provided by increasing the inductance value after that. And that inductance increase usually has to be accompanied by an increase in resistance and physical size.
Old 29th June 2020, 02:29 AM   #56
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Mah View Post
In my push-pull amps I build with CRC supply, with 44mF - 0.12R - 44mF. With my single ended amps I build with CLC supply, with 44mF - Hammond 159ZJ - 44mf.

The Hammond 159ZJ is 15mH 0.16R.

PSU Designer simulations show for CRC the ripple is around 70mV and for CLC the ripple was about 2mV. Results may vary depending on the capacitor ESR and current demand.

The CRC 70mV was for 2.6A. For 1.8A, the ripple was 50mA . For CLC, the ripple was also reduced, to around 1.3mV.

Of course these are simulation results but the real life results will be in the same range.

The Hammond chokes have a tolerance of 15% for both inductance & DCR. I'd be interested to know if you (or anyone else) have measured how close to spec yours are.
Old 29th June 2020, 02:39 AM   #57
Ben Mah is offline Ben Mah  Canada
diyAudio Member

I haven't measured inductance and at such a low DCR a typical multimeter (I have cheap meters) will not measure accurately. Also to my knowledge the effective inductance will vary with current.

I think that the published specifications are close enough for the amplifiers that we build, and the difference in ripple from CRC to CLC is substantial.
Old 29th June 2020, 03:07 AM   #58
TungstenAudio is offline TungstenAudio  United States
diyAudio Member

The inductance specified for the Hammond inductors is at the rated current. Hammond does state that the inductance may vary either way for current that differs from the specification.
The DC resistance may be measured with the help of a current source. I built a 1.0 Amp current source and verified the DC resistance of a pair 195T5 inductors were the specified 0.65 Ohms.
Old 29th June 2020, 05:09 AM   #59
diyAudio Member

Hello,
Going up with the mH value from 2/10 to 40/50 mH will surely change the sound but because if you dont try you will never know. It might even give you the possibility to lower the value of the first cap that stresses the transformer and the diodes a lot.
Greetings, Eduard
Old 30th June 2020, 12:55 PM   #60
diyAudio Member

Hello,
As you can see the proof of the pudding is in the eating.
Use of Lundahl chokes with a load around 1A ( a DDDAC with shunt supplies integrated on the boards) Chokes close to the actual circuit ( the biggest choke used as a choke input) and the DDDAC output transformers on the right side of boards.
Good luck with the 2 mH chokes.
Greetings, Eduard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190317_192457 30-6-2020.jpg (550.3 KB, 56 views)

Hammond 159zl as clc chokeHide this!Advertise here!