Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Hammond 159zl as clc choke
Hammond 159zl as clc choke
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st March 2016, 05:28 PM   #21
Hikari1 is offline Hikari1  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcandmar View Post
Out of interest i tried modeling one half of my F4 supply and replaced the .1r resistor (four .47r in parallel), with a Hammond 159ZJ (10mh, 5A, 0.16r). Only real difference i see is a reduction in ripple from 161mv to 71mv. Might pick a couple up and give them a try.

On a related note, anybody know of a good Hammond supplier in the EU or UK? I used to use tubes.it on ebay but seems they are no longer in business.
Mouser Electronics - Electronic Components Distributor

I got mine from mouser USA, looks like Mouser UK will do free shipping with a minimum order.
Old 1st March 2016, 05:31 PM   #22
mcandmar is offline mcandmar
diyAudio Member

Tube town looks good, thanks for that. I found Mouser shipping gets expensive when you add transformers into the basket as most of them are not included under the free shipping.
Old 1st March 2016, 07:31 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Ordered two 159ZJ to test, and two big 193C for another project from Tubetown with a very reasonable €15 shipping. I'll post back my finding, if there are any...
Old 2nd March 2016, 09:01 AM   #24
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
R.I.P.

Quote:
Out of interest i tried modeling one half of my F4 supply and replaced the .1r resistor (four .47r in parallel), with a Hammond 159ZJ (10mh, 5A, 0.16r). Only real difference i see is a reduction in ripple from 161mv to 71mv. Might pick a couple up and give them a try.

On a related note, anybody know of a good Hammond supplier in the EU or UK? I used to use tubes.it on ebay but seems they are no longer in business.
You can "look" at this attenuation of ripple on your oscilloscope.
You can measure the extra attenuation on the scope.

You can also see the change in shape.
The more "rounded" shape of the CLC ripple tells you there is a lesser contribution of the HF in the ripple.
The sawtooth shape and the sharper, the points the higher the HF contribution in the ripple.
I don't know how to measure this. I can only look and see that it is more rounded.
An FFT should be able to measure the LF and HF content of the ripple.
Old 2nd March 2016, 01:17 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Interesting, i will try to capture that..
Old 2nd March 2016, 05:04 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

You guys think a 5A rated choke is enough for say...2.5A per channel of bias? That's why I went with the 2.5mh choke...it's 10A rated. I am not sure, maybe 5A is enough.
Old 2nd March 2016, 05:51 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote from datasheet..

Quote:
Inductances measured at rated D.C. current. Units will exhibit less inductance at slightly higher currents or more at lower currents.
The main reason i chose that model was because the resistance is comparable to the stock resistors.
Old 2nd March 2016, 08:38 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Quote from datasheet..

The main reason i chose that model was because the resistance is comparable to the stock resistors.
Yea! That means even more inductance (more than 2.5mH) for me.

I've always thought that Pass recommended around 2mH for CLC. I think I read it somewhere a long time ago but I could be remembering it wrong. That's why I went with the 2.5mH chokes. I understand that more inductance smooths out the supply which is desirable. Maybe the 2mH recommendation was because the resistance usually goes up with inductance.
Old 2nd March 2016, 10:11 PM   #29
nicoch58 is offline nicoch58  Europe
diyAudio Member

RR#002 - DC Filament Supply Test
Old 3rd March 2016, 12:44 AM   #30
eduard is offline eduard  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to eduard
Lundahl Plate chokes, Lundhal Anodendrossel
Lundahl Transformers - Tube amplifier transformers

Hammond 159zl as clc chokeHide this!Advertise here!