X-SOZ-X-BOSOZ.....choke loaded

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This have to be the way to go.

The X topology likes to have more than one gainstage, i dont...but by combining the X-SOZ with X-BOSOZ we would get 2 gainstages and remain with the X-SOZ as we like it.

To top off things, the efficiency should be boosted a bit, that would be done best by making the whole thing choke loaded (I guess).

Variac....there you go :)

Any ideas??

Magura

I have started playing with this a little bit. Today I built the SOX
as per FIGURE 4 SUPERSYMMETRICAL SON OF ZEN . I then replaced the drain resistors with 5 mh air core inductors I was thinking along the lines of a tweeter amp I thaught 5mh might
do. Next I will try replacing the source resistor with a ccs to get
the effency higher. Thank you again mr Pass for the wonderful
articles.

Woody :)

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
OBoy!

We may disagree if the choke replaces the bunch of power resistors I have bought along with their heatsinks at great expense.

But here is my wishlist/ manifesto which is probably common to
are our needs:

1. The X topology likes to have more than one gainstage
2. The SOX may be one stage, but it's gain is low enough that it needs to be used with a pre-amp
3. So, why use a separate preamp when you could combine the preamp as one stage and the SOX as the second stage.

4. THEN you still have the same number of gainstages BUT you get the greater benefits of a 2 stage X circuit.

5. FINALLY THE BIG QUESTION:

I assume that to get the greatest benefits of two x-stages they need to be connected more like an Aleph X, Or, do you get the benifits by just hooking a BSOZ to a SOX with interconnects?

Can someone tell me what the circuit will look like?

I can't see how people like Henrik, Stefano, Grey, Grataku, Mad K can resist this.....

A littlebit of this and a littlebit of that

Could this be the right approach?

Magura :)

Attachments

• xsozxbosoz.jpg
    xsozxbosoz.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 856
Variac said:

I can't see how people like Henrik, Stefano, Grey, Grataku, Mad K can resist this.....

Resist???? Just don't know how !:rolleyes: :devilr:

1. The X topology likes to have more than one gainstage

who said that? I learned that X is good to let do a single stage (or two stages) amp what usually 6-10 stage amps do in terms of power , damping , BUT with (if I know ....) MORE life in reproduction .

2. The SOX may be one stage, but it's gain is low enough that it needs to be used with a pre-amp

SOZ needs a preamp too, and its gain is the same of SOX .
Of coure the input impedance is decreased but you can play well with BOSOZ.
OBoy!
Can someone tell me what the circuit will look like?

I would try a little effort in the SOX rather than add a second stage : CASCODE :devilr: :devilr: :devilr: :devilr: :devilr: :devilr:
not folded but just interposing devices between the drain resistors and the drains. I just love it !!!!

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Who said that?

Nelson Pass:
a single stage circuit such as the SOZ would not actually be expected to see as much improvement as a two stage circuit because by its very nature it does not correct for the non-linearities in output curent caused by the Gate to Source non-linearities of the differential pair themselves. This is a fundamental limitation, and of course is true of differential pairs in general

SOZ needs a preamp too, and its gain is the same of SOX .

Yes this is true. They both need a preamp so why not make them 2 stage but without a preamp?

Of course the input impedance is decreased but you can play well with BOSOZ.

But if you are making a special XBOSOZ that works best only with a SOZ or SOX , why not integrate them?

Maybe it's true- is what I want an Aleph X with resistors (or chokes) instead of constant current sources and a differential pair per channel? can this be done?I'm lookin' at the two schematics but it suddenly occurs to me that I know almost nothing about circuits!!! :bawling: My head is spinnin'

So can we :
correct for the non-linearities in output current caused by the Gate to Source non-linearities of the differential pair themselves

Mark;):bawling:

Variac, I think you are overthinking this. Just build your SOX (and X/BZLS) and stay happy ever-after. I promise you; once you hear that transistor clapping, you'll forget everything else ;)

(And maybe when :dead: * arrives, you can start thinking a little bit again ;) )

*=little green tweak monster

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Variac said:
Yes this is true. They both need a preamp so why not make them 2 stage but without a preamp? But if you are making a special XBOSOZ that works best only with a SOZ or SOX , why not integrate them?

A SOZ and SOX cascaded could look a lot like an Aleph X whose
output is biased by resistors, so integration is a snap.

Some people need the gain, but given the low power, some
don't. I like to directly use the output of my Wadia, which has
just enough poop to do it with efficient speakers.

The next iteration of X-SOZ (ZV7) will use a current source for
bias and a choke load.

Variac said:
Well it looks like Magura's wishes have been answered by the next Zen Variation- I'll bet he makes his first!

Not really. My wishes have already been answered and are currently forming :)

A X-SOZ a'la Henrik or SOX...(cant decide and wont have to for another month or two) choke loaded in any case. A X-BOSOZ a'la stefano....built as preamp monoblocks. As far as im concerned CCS SOZ is not a good idea, its been pointed out by several people, including NP. Anyway CCS would destroy the coolness factor of the whole thing :cool: Ive got something like a squaremeter of heatsinks.....and i want a reason for that ;)

Magura:)

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Magura: Well, I agree, there is something about massive heatsinks, massive resistors, massive power consumption, and now massive chokes that fulfills what we have always loved about an SOZ.

I'm not giving up my red hot resistors 'till they pry them from my cold dead hands!!!:hot:

On the other hand the Zen 7 will be much better for everyday use in my office..... I bought 48 MOSFETS 2 years ago thinking I was making an Aleph 2 pair , so I have enough for 12 SOX/SOZ variations! I guess there will be a circuit board for the current source.

Magura said:
I dont know....its something found on this forum im quite sure.

Magura:)

OK, the schematic above is a version of Passlabs Super-Symmetry(TM) with Aleph and constant CS designed by me from the amp I build : it performs Beautifully and I suggest everyone to try it .
It is biased at 1.3 amps / halve for a total of 2.7 Amps /channel.
I tested respectively with 8ohm /90db and 4ohm/94db speakers , and also with the Jordans (but J-Low horn is not ready yet) . The speakers give very good results and can play quite loud , the bass is in each speaker loud , effortless and correct under the musical timbre aspect.The rest of the spectrum is quite fantastic !

:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.