Pearl and Benz Micro Cartridges

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

Some of my friends and I own couple BenzMicro Cartridges - Aces or Gliders ...

We were thinking of building up few Pearls for our systems - but - is Pearl suitable for MC cartridges? Some says it is and some says it must be "upgraded" if you want to use it as an MC preamp ...

Thanks for tips!

Here's a copy/paste - original written by mr. Panelhead and published on analogue section of this forums - of one modification of the Pearl:

"If you like the sound of the Pearl, why not add a gain stage to the input. Several others have done it with good results. The input stage of the Pearl is a great circuit to start with.
Mine is a pair of matched 2SK170BL, each sitting on a 22 ohm resistor. The pair is cascoded with a ZTX450.
Power comes off the Q5 second regulator of the Pearl. Through a 10 mH choke, 1000 ufd cap, then 700 ohm resitor to the ZTX450. The output is cap coupled with a 1 ufd stacked film and foil cap into the 47K input of the Pearl."

Stabist said:
Hi!

Some of my friends and I own couple BenzMicro Cartridges - Aces or Gliders ...

We were thinking of building up few Pearls for our systems - but - is Pearl suitable for MC cartridges? Some says it is and some says it must be "upgraded" if you want to use it as an MC preamp ...

Thanks for tips!

The use of the Pearl with medium output MC cartridges will be dependent on overall system gain.
In my system, the resulting gain was too low trying a Grado Statement Sonata and a Denon 103R. Audio Note UK Stepups were tried, but the bass was very flabby.
Another problem was loading, thr Grado is a very low output MI, it likes to see 47K. The Denon likes around 100 ohms.
I built the simple circuit and it is great. The transformer was great with my last two tube phono's.
The noise level is much lower coming grom the Pearl with MC pre compared to the tube and step up iron.

George

Benz Glider with Pearl

The Glider at medium output is 0,8 mV at 3.5 cm/sec and not at the more used speed of 5 cm/sec where should be 1 mV.
My Glider 0,8 mV works very well with Pearl at 330 hom input impedence. The gain is more then adeguate. You just could have problemsif your preamplifier 1s less then 18-20 dB gain and the amplifier is less then 15 bB gain.
In commercial electronics there are no problems also with 0,2 mV output MC cartdridge. I tested my Pearl with Accuphase ampifier, Tnt 3.5 turnable and Benz 0,4 mV end ther where no problems also with 88dB loadspeakers.
With my Zen V4 that has about 13dB gain, I need at least 18dB on preamplifier with 91 dB loadspeakers.
Enjoy yourself with Pearl.:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.