Pass Pearl 1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

At the risk of hijacking this thread, I'd appreciate a little advice. I built a Pearl / Ono phono preamp a while back, courtesy of a group buy hosted by Prometheus. The Pearl / Ono has been performing flawlessly since, at least until very recently. Now I hear a light, sporadic static that previously didn't exist. Nothing looks amiss but I don't know what to check.

Can anyone offer any guidance / ideas / wild-*** guesses about what's happening to my lovely phono amp?

Regards,
Scott

I shorted the inputs and cranked it all the way up. Totally silent. The popping is coming from the turntable?

Good show. Static electricity, maybe? Have you changed your turntable mat recently?
Just to be sure, can you do the same test again, either with open inputs,
or using input termination resistors of the same order as your cartridge?

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Good show. Static electricity, maybe? Have you changed your turntable mat recently?
Just to be sure, can you do the same test again, either with open inputs,
or using input termination resistors of the same order as your cartridge?

Rayma:

No change in my turntable of any kind. Totally silent with open inputs.

Possibly from the cartridge. What are you running?

When I connected a Benz Glider medium output MC to my Pearl 1, I got all kinds of interesting noises, from ffftttt, fffftttt, to radio stations.

jeff

Jeff:

The turntable is a Maplenoll Apollo and the cartridge is a Lyra Lydian Beta. Neither is young, but both appear to be working fine (aside from the snap, crackle and pop).

I suppose the culprit could be my preamp, but none of the other inputs is exhibiting this issue.

I'll be leaving on a 3 week business trip in a couple of days. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear 'em. But I may not be in a position to test much before I leave and obviously won't be able to respond with any empirical information for a while.

Whaddaya think?

Regards (and thanks),
Scott

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Scott:
I just rebuilt my Maplenoll turntable. As you might have noticed, there are 5 tiny wires coming from the arm to the rca jacks. Four of them are +- left and right channels.The 5th wire is supposed to be connected to the arm by a screw to discharge any static electricity buildup. The other end of the wire should connect to the earth ground terminal next to the rca jacks. Also, if I remember correctly, one of the negative wires (left channel I think) also connects to the ground terminal and the - of its rca jack. What you describe sounds like that 5th wire might be broken. Use a DMM to check continuity.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.