Aleph-X builder's thread.

and here I'm again :D

does any one use velleman speaker protection with AlephX amplifiers,
or have idea will this work

here is sch and picture from velleman manual

(am asking because this protection is local available and needs just to be solder so it's a BIG+)

Attachments

• velleman.png
    velleman.png
    60.1 KB · Views: 450
  • velleman sch.png
    velleman sch.png
    66.7 KB · Views: 458
I am building one and bought the DIY Audio Store soft start board. It came with the protection board in a bundle and I somewhere read comments by Mr. Pass himself that the amp is not dangerous to the loudspeakers and he couldn`t remember of an amp that caused issues. So I aborted the use of relays on the outputs but would subscribe to this one :)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
and here I'm again :D

does any one use velleman speaker protection with AlephX amplifiers,
or have idea will this work

here is sch and picture from velleman manual

(am asking because this protection is local available and needs just to be solder so it's a BIG+)

yoke , got your PM

you can use any (decent) speaker protection , usually made as referenced to amp's gnd - using simple trick - make dedicated PSU for it (small xformer and reg ) not connected to amp's GND but reference entire circuit to amp's negative speaker output ...... meaning that amps negative output is practically GND for speaker protection pcb

simple as that

just in case - EUVL posted his version of spk. protection for amps with balanced/floating outputs

I am building one and bought the DIY Audio Store soft start board. It came with the protection board in a bundle and I somewhere read comments by Mr. Pass himself that the amp is not dangerous to the loudspeakers and he couldn`t remember of an amp that caused issues. So I aborted the use of relays on the outputs but would subscribe to this one :)

jea, I read it too :D

Aleph X speaker protection

yoke , got your PM

you can use any (decent) speaker protection , usually made as referenced to amp's gnd - using simple trick - make dedicated PSU for it (small xformer and reg ) not connected to amp's GND but reference entire circuit to amp's negative speaker output ...... meaning that amps negative output is practically GND for speaker protection pcb

simple as that

just in case - EUVL posted his version of spk. protection for amps with balanced/floating outputs

If I got this right;
I can use velleman protection (it's for two channels) from above, as it have dedicated power supply
and connect one channel to the loudspeaker + ( the other channel is not connected ) and reference ground to the loudspeaker - ?

like on picture ?

Attachments

• velleman_1.jpg
    velleman_1.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
no exactly ....

writing about principle of operation I forgot that Welleman circuit is stereo ......

you must use one modul per channel , then simply treat amp outputs as positive and negative , where negative is GND for Welleman modul

will edit your schematic and post , tonight

you having Aleph X made as stereo or monoblocks ?

mine too ;)
but I'm at crossroad thinking to build one more small AlephX or to sell the one I have
the potential buyer would like me to place some loudspeaker protection at the output..so...
right now I don't have any fuse at all...maybe I should add that one too :D
I'm not shore will I sell it at all...have to think how to proceed ;)

???

hello, sorry if I go back again on this subject but, I found here in the first pages this protection circuit x the speakers, can you use? and about the pcb of soft start and protection cases, sold here in the store, and valid x Aleph X, I liked that introduces the delay of a few seconds. Thank you

Attachments

• ls protection.pdf
    20.2 KB · Views: 196
O.K.
some simulation
the starting point are 15V AC transformers from AlephMIni
those would give me like 18V DC on load (if I remember correctly pass x1.2 formula)

So with 18V and 2A bias, I would need 0.5ohm source resistors
and will have 18W dissipation per mosfet
If I read right IRF610 are capable of 36W max...so...I'm ok...

All that will give me like 8W on 4ohm and will drop with impedance.

The plan is to make new case for amplifier that will have 8W and 60W AlephX in one enclosure.
It is more convenient for me to have it in one case then in two as it would take less space.

What could be the problem is that I will have to rotate heat sinks from vertically to horizontal which will not be optimal heat sink orientation but I hope it will do the trick (other wise I would get too large case which would not fit into my ''apartment'' ;) )

I have Fischer SK41, 150mm, which are ok for 65 to 70W of dissipation

so I will place them horizontally X 3 to get like 450mm deep case ( if I would place them vertically, side by side, it would be like 540mm+front plate and it would need at least 600mm space )
(will have 6 X SK41 per case)

Here is the picture of my AlephX

And some pass amplifier with ''unstandard'' heat sink orientation

The question;
As it's been a while since I build my AX, should I stick with schm from Eric's page
http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/esantane/movies/axschem.jpg
or should I change some values ?

I have original green AX PCB
tweeter is scanspeak 2904/7000

Attachments

• pass-xa30-5-amplifier-fig-3.jpg
    pass-xa30-5-amplifier-fig-3.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 333
  • Aleph-X-60w.jpg
    Aleph-X-60w.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 320
  • AlephX-60w.jpg