Official M2 schematic

I've tried both the AnTec AS-4218 and AS-3218 which have a "static shield between primary and secondary coils to improve the isolation and noise interference. And they also have the magnetic shield around the outside to reduce the magnetic leakage." I'm assuming the magnetic shield AnTec uses may be Mu Metal, but not sure.

Still some hum that can be detected within 2 feet of the speakers (88 dB efficiency) but not at the listening position. Trying to figure out the next steps in quieting the hum.

The ones I've seen (Amveco, I think) had what appeared to be a steel strip around the circumference, overlapped and tack welded. I say some sort of steel (?) as it was magnetic, slightly springy, and rusting. The outer steel strips were NOT grounded, unlike the interwinding electrostatic shield- in my case.

The ones I've seen (Amveco, I think) had what appeared to be a steel strip around the circumference, overlapped and tack welded. I say some sort of steel (?) as it was magnetic, slightly springy, and rusting. The outer steel strips were NOT grounded, unlike the interwinding electrostatic shield- in my case.

The AnTeks are similar but the metal strip around the circumference of the toroid is under the plastic insulation wrap. Not sure if its grounded nor the type of material used (steel, Mu-Metal or ?).

...ring made of 2 or 3 full windings of metal strip , wound around perimeter of donut...s

It's a GOSS band (Grain Oriented Silicon Steel), magnetic sheilding; I've seen similar used on speaker magnets.

A picture for those who haven't seen one.

Attachments

• toroid_goss_band_large.gif
    toroid_goss_band_large.gif
    69.4 KB · Views: 668
I have a 2' x 4" x 0.01" piece of Mu-Metal foil coming from McMaster Carr to experiment with shielding. Kind of an expensive experiment at $122 for this small piece.

I would be very interested to hear about your results with the mu metal in place. I'm using an Antek AS-4218 and also have a slight hum. Doesn't interfere with listening, but I know its there.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Nitto No. 597B Mu-Metal (Ultraperm 80) sheeting formed into a 44mm L x 35mm W x 16mm deep rectangular cover (self stick adhesive on one side makes construction easy) placed over Edcor brings 500uV rms noise at output down to 300uV. When I disconnect the source, the noise drops to 100uVrms (as measured with Fluke 101). Running unshielded Antek 400VA 18V trafo at front of 4U DIYA store 300mm deep Dissipante case with Edcors near the rear. Using Mark Johnson capacitance multiplier for the PSU (with 2 x 10,000uF caps ea).
708473d1539139494-official-m2-schematic-m2-mu-metal-shield-edcor-jpg

Attachments

• MJohnson-Cap-Mx-Tested-Sterero--3.jpg
    MJohnson-Cap-Mx-Tested-Sterero--3.jpg
    462.4 KB · Views: 641
  • M2-mu-metal-shield-Edcor.jpg
    M2-mu-metal-shield-Edcor.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 1,688
Last edited:
I have a 2' x 4" x 0.01" piece of Mu-Metal foil coming from McMaster Carr to experiment with shielding. Kind of an expensive experiment at $122 for this small piece.

Two U-shaped pieces of foil, rotated 90 degrees from each other, that clip on the Edcor. Reduces hum by slightly greater than 50%. Can now hear hum only within 1 foot from the woofer in a very quite room.

Attachments

• IMG_2444a_small.jpg
    IMG_2444a_small.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 1,440
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Nice work - glad the my metal shield worked for you too.

Great idea to use use black iron plumbing trimmings for trafo shield. Will have to see if there are any scraps from my local hardware store.

Thanks. To be honest the steel shielding for power toroids didn't make much difference in my case, most noise reduction thanks to mu-metal boxes...

Two U-shaped pieces of foil, rotated 90 degrees from each other, that clip on the Edcor. Reduces hum by slightly greater than 50%. Can now hear hum only within 1 foot from the woofer in a very quite room.

Thanks for sharing this info! Have you experimented with raising the transformer above the mounting plate? In my case, I found that raising the toroid approx. 1" on a block of wood reduced the hum significantly. It had a far greater effect than rotating the transformer, or even mounting it vertically. Just a thought..

Thanks for sharing this info! Have you experimented with raising the transformer above the mounting plate? In my case, I found that raising the toroid approx. 1" on a block of wood reduced the hum significantly. It had a far greater effect than rotating the transformer, or even mounting it vertically. Just a thought..

Very interesting! No, I have since mounted the transformer vertically, using an L-bracket which helped reduce, but not eliminate the noise. I have not tried raising the transformer. Sounds like something I will try. Thanks for the tip.