Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Official M2 schematic
Official M2 schematic
Official M2 schematic Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd September 2019, 07:07 PM   #3361
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

Official M2 schematic
as I see it - voltages you measured around JFets are ok

one thing - if you don't have chassis yet - did you heatsinked output mosfets for these first tests?????
Old 2nd September 2019, 07:15 PM   #3362
darrr is offline darrr  Poland
diyAudio Member

I used a replacement heatsink. Too small to work but sufficient to run for measurement. When I turned off the mosfet temperature it was around 100 CIMG_20190902_172323.jpg

Last edited by darrr; 2nd September 2019 at 07:17 PM.
Old 2nd September 2019, 07:21 PM   #3363
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

Official M2 schematic
good

and I thought that I'm sole dumb kwayzee lucky bstrd around

leave it in cardbox , please , while waiting for proper chassis

Old 2nd September 2019, 07:28 PM   #3364
darrr is offline darrr  Poland
diyAudio Member

Good advice Official M2 schematic . Chassis and pair of jfets....
Old 2nd December 2019, 07:49 PM   #3365
metallicus69 is offline metallicus69  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I have built only the final stages, 2 stages per channel, to be driven by a differential Aikido tube stage. I was always looking for a Vertical stage in place of the Laterals used at Moskido. And this seems to be a great solution.
My problem is that the static current through each MOSfet is around 1,15A at 24V supplies and 1,3A at 30V supplies. The offset is quite stable after warming up to 55-58C and easily set after changing the P1 to 10kohms and R7 to 51kOhms.
Decreasing R13 and R14 to 0,33 would bring the current over 2,2 A, so probably I should rather increase R11.
The question is: should I aim to increase it more? Is it 1,2A enough considering a dual stage (so 2,4A in total per channel) driving 8Ohm speakers? Or will it leave the A class too early?
Thanks for your time to read my post and applologies if this is not a good thread for my questions!
Old 2nd December 2019, 08:22 PM   #3366
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

Official M2 schematic
if you're content with sound , leave it

for gradual increase of Iq , try increasing resistor in series with opto-led

sensibly,please
Old 3rd December 2019, 03:28 AM   #3367
aljordan is offline aljordan  United States
diyAudio Member

Is there an ideal voltage for the power supply to be delivering to the M2 boards under load? My power supply is delivering ~ 21.2 volts under load, and my heat syncs are not very warm, so I am wondering if I should do a little work on the power supply.

Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 04:15 AM   #3368
Extreme_Boky is offline Extreme_Boky
diyAudio Member

The transformer specifications should say 2 X 20V AC at the secondaries... to begin with.

Some transformer manufacturers will let you specify the secondary voltage in 1V increments, so 2 x 21V AC might be perfect.

The voltage sag will also depend on the transformer VA rating; the higher the VA, the lesser of a sag.

I use 230V-specified transformers, at 2 X 20V AC, connected to 240V mains.... so that gives me around 2 X 21 V AC or so.

Of course, the quiescent current per each output transistor will also influence the whole thing.

It is also important to remember that mains voltage could vary substantially, depending on your electricity provider/distribution network. Just another factor to take into consideration.

There's a bit of a voltage drop across the thermistor as well.

Also, the power dissipation is directly proportional to (an increase) of supply voltage... so with 5U / cooler climates, it ain't gonna be a problem.

Last edited by Extreme_Boky; 3rd December 2019 at 04:22 AM.
Old 3rd December 2019, 08:05 AM   #3369
metallicus69 is offline metallicus69  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
if you're content with sound , leave it

for gradual increase of Iq , try increasing resistor in series with opto-led

sensibly,please
Thanks!

No extensive sound auditions yet, I have to build the solid state protection relay first and connect everything in the boxes; at the moment I am just testing the static and thermal parameters, to be sure they will survive.
I did some audition with them though directly from a headphone output to the power buffer and the sound seemed ok in my modest test speakers.

As all is done p2p It would be easier to replace the 0R47 resistors with 0R33 but I don't feel like it will be a good idea, so I will probably leave it as it is.
Old 3rd December 2019, 04:43 PM   #3370
aljordan is offline aljordan  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_Boky View Post
The transformer specifications should say 2 X 20V AC at the secondaries... to begin with.

Some transformer manufacturers will let you specify the secondary voltage in 1V increments, so 2 x 21V AC might be perfect.

The voltage sag will also depend on the transformer VA rating; the higher the VA, the lesser of a sag.

I use 230V-specified transformers, at 2 X 20V AC, connected to 240V mains.... so that gives me around 2 X 21 V AC or so.

Of course, the quiescent current per each output transistor will also influence the whole thing.

It is also important to remember that mains voltage could vary substantially, depending on your electricity provider/distribution network. Just another factor to take into consideration.

There's a bit of a voltage drop across the thermistor as well.

Also, the power dissipation is directly proportional to (an increase) of supply voltage... so with 5U / cooler climates, it ain't gonna be a problem.
I used a 2 x 18 volt 300 VA transformer. I thought the first watt power supply specified 18 volt. Does the M2 specify 20 volt?

Official M2 schematicHide this!Advertise here!