BAF 2015 Coverage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Wow, I am speechless. That's pretty amazing, although it's a little more than what I have in mind. I have attached a picture of the speakers I use, the Guarneri Memento's. Mine are in "Rosso". The stands that come with them are steel and hollow, and at least to me, not the best complement to the speakers' prowess.

When papa was presenting yesterday, and said - at 54:28 on Mike's video - "you can build it....you should rush out and acquire the parts and do it", I was sold. That's the power of a great idea, and this idea is truly a great idea. It has enough power as a Class A SE to easily drive my 4 Ohm speakers, and with judicious coupling, the speaker will live very happily on top of a structure that offers plenty of dissipation for the 90+ W, and position the speakers at the ideal listening height.

I apologize if my entries are hijacking this thread about BAF coverage to become a how-to on the IXFN140N20P amp, but this amp is truly a great gift from papa, and it promises to be made even more real than he said in his presentation yesterday. ZM or other mods - please feel free to move this if you'd like but the power of this idea - the buildability and the clear transfomer arrangement of he Schade feedback - is why I keep coming back and asking questions.

Thanks to papa, and please keep the ideas coming!

Attachments

• guarneri_memento_pair.jpg
    guarneri_memento_pair.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 725
What do you guys think of Roger's speech? I loved Nelson's lecture of course but I only got halfway through Roger's. I plan to finish it but he was dogging LED bias and seemed to allude to Stuarts red light district amp maybe lol. I was really interested in his explanation at getting 35 watts from two 6bq5's but I still have my doubts. I mean with those valves bias they way they are they must go into cut off early and at the higher end of the amps power range go into class B; i.e. there must be a good amount of crossover distortion which doesn't sound great :yikes: And then the signal swing will shoot up well over 1kV. I think somebody in the audience started to ask him about this but he kind of dismissed it and said that the "I assure you they don't go into cutoff" or something like that. I will re-watch it tomorrow. I would love to attend a BA festival! Looks like a lot of fun!

I plan to finish it but he was dogging LED bias and seemed to allude to Stuarts red light district amp maybe lol. I was really interested in his explanation at getting 35 watts from two 6bq5's but I still have my doubts.

He started off getting some facts wrong, then drew poor conclusions.

The high power stuff from EL84 is completely correct- when he first wrote about it, I did some experiments, and ended up modifying the RLD to get more power out of it (my current one runs about 27 watts per channel).

I really enjoyed Roger's presentation. I never usually agree 100% with people anyway, so that doesn't bother me.
If I lived in the USA I'd definitely attend his school/course.

I don't think we necessarily have to agree with each others thoughts or ideas but to me he didn't present the facts accurately. At first I thought "man I don't have as good an understanding as I thought" but after some scribblings on some paper I feel he was clearly not correct. I plan to re-watch it again during my lunch today.

He started off getting some facts wrong, then drew poor conclusions.

Perfectly stated SY. I was really kinda scratching my head asking myself "this guy teaches a school for tube hi-fi?" :rolleyes:

The high power stuff from EL84 is completely correct- when he first wrote about it, I did some experiments, and ended up modifying the RLD to get more power out of it (my current one runs about 27 watts per channel).

Well that's great news! I too was playing around with getting more power from push pull 6P14P's and actually remember a brief discussion about this in another thread here; http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/131829-el84-max-power-hifi-amp.html I feel safer using the higher voltage on the plates with these Russian tubes versus the 6BQ5.

I don't think we necessarily have to agree with each others thoughts or ideas but to me he didn't present the facts accurately. At first I thought "man I don't have as good an understanding as I thought" but after some scribblings on some paper I feel he was clearly not correct. I plan to re-watch it again during my lunch today.

He was a little unclear about biasing, the only thing he was absolutely clear about was that he didn't believe putting an led at the source of a mosfet/jfet was a good idea. I agree with him on that.
The other things he was saying were a little unclear without proper drawn examples, I'd rather not comment about that since it could easily be that I misunderstood what he was trying to say.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for doing this Mike.

I have been away from any sort of DIY for some time, but this made me think of jumping back in the bandwagon once more :)
Unfortunately I have 0 free time, but I might order a few IXYS parts just in case I decide I do not want to work that much any more :p

I still have a few question marks from Papa's presentation, but I really have to watch it again with a clearer mind

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.