BAF 2013 folded cascode LSK Pre line amplifier adapted for strain gauge cartridge

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I thought the LSK line amp from BAF2013 could be used with a Panasonic EPC-450C strain gauge cartridge.
4 mA through the cartridge's strain gauge elements. Opposite polarities on bias to avoid an inverting stage, or swapping cartridge leads.
Any comments?

/RK

Attachments

• BAF 2013 line amp for EPC-451.png
    BAF 2013 line amp for EPC-451.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 747
Last edited:
Optimum excitation voltage has a significant effect on strain gauge performance.
Basically you want the highest voltage without overheating the strain gauge. I'll have to refer to my notes. My brain doesn't remember that level of detail anymore.
A Salas shunt reg should make a noticeable improvent for this application.

I'll think about the amp side of things once I remember my strain gauge stuff. I'm no expert about amps but folded cascode definitely gives you high performance.

I found this at Vinyl Engine - The Home of the Turntable, thanks to one Flavio.

Postby flavio81 » 13 Jun 2010 05:00

Ok, here's the information i've found:

Here's how you get sound from it, directly from Technics patents:

ImaThe cartridge needs, per channel, 4mA or 5mA of current through it.
The internal resistance of the cartridge is 1000 ohm per channel (= per semiconductor element). When deflecting the needle with my finger, i get around 100 ohm.

Panasonic SE-405 demodulator specs say the input impedance (of that preamplifier) is 4700ohm, which means that for 4mA, they are using around 18 to 22V of bias voltage.

For me, if i want to use 9V of bias tension and 5mA of current for the semiconductor cartridge, the "R" (resistor) value on that diagram would have to be 800 ohm, so the total resistance (1800 ohm) together with the voltage (9V) gives 5mA.

The capacitor is there to filter out the bias voltage (DC). I guess any high enough value will work...

The output in theory would go to the AUX input, no RIAA compensation is required, like if it was a ceramic cartridge!!!

Another additional consideration i've found is that one of the two channels must be reversed in phase to give a correct stereo output. Or you can invert the leads of one of the speaker channels...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 571
It is a device like shows in the picture attached. I think ca 4mA of bias current. Could probably make some regulator for 5VDC from a 7805 or something. I just made a simulation to look at positive bias for one channel and negative for the other.

Elements tweaked for RIAA curve match looks suspicious. A SG is a constant displacement transducer, I can't see the mechanical elements varying their properties at low frequencies. I would think you still need a preamp with a different de-emphasis curve. A ceramic cartridge simply "plows" through the RIAA curve there are considerable errors in doing this.

Yes. I had a discussion with the late Lou Dorren at the QuadraphonicQuad forum some years ago regarding this. I think I found quite some deviation, but I think Lou argued it was not that important (due to other errors if I remember).
I made a simple LTSpice simulation, and I believe I found quite some dBs error. I can probably dig out this again from some harddisk.

Generally speaking a strain gauge should give you an absolutely flat frequency response.

No, you are talking about two different issues a strain gauge might very well be a perfect displacement transducer but LP's have been equalized for ideal velocity sensitive transducers of which most cartridges are not due to several factors. There is no way the frequency response is correct without de-emphasis of some kind.

No, you are talking about two different issues a strain gauge might very well be a perfect displacement transducer but LP's have been equalized for ideal velocity sensitive transducers of which most cartridges are not due to several factors. There is no way the frequency response is correct without de-emphasis of some kind.

I wasn't aware of that. Interesting info.

No, the ECP-45* devices have just the strain gauges, as far as I am aware.
Scott is right in my opinion. The strain gauge cartridges does not take into consideration the flat mid-area of the RIAA eq.

Strain gauges are absolutely flat in frequency response (I'll check on the bandwidth)
I wasn't aware that LPs are recorded with frequency correction.
Does anyone know how much they tweak the frequency response before it is put down on vinyl.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.