F6 Illustrated Build Guide

Try here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/277850-f6-illustrated-build-guide.html#post4406647

Some folks had minor trouble with the bias adjustment range so Z1, Z2 =6.3V
and R7, R8=3.3K have been suggested
Hi Im building an F6 ( my first diy transistor amp ) and the zeners that diystore ship with the Mosfets only got me to .3V bias. Now awaiting a priority shipment of 6V8 zeners and 3K3 resistors. Cant wait to test the F6 on my Altec A5s :) Hope the rumors are true ;)
Regards
Kjartan

Regarding Berserkers. I was out of mushrooms so I drank some homemade mead and pulled the R7s, R8s and the Zeners last night. Good quality pcbs as I didnt destroy them in the prosess.
Yes Iceland is nice, although I live in Norway now, went back to the old country to claim back what Harald and his cronies stole back in the day ;)

Last edited:
While awaiting components from Mouser I'll try to post pictures of my den. If you can see the pictures you'll see my A5s ( Altec 299-8g and GPA 515c with autoformer crossovers from Germany ), diy 3 armed Lenco, in progress preamp (Aikido v 6CG7s), DIY LD91 300b amp, was changing out the powersupply trafos to Hammond. The current amp is a 30w hypex with sowter input trafo ( buffer and se-> balanced). Im acclimatising from the 300B amps before testing the F6 :) + different stuff like boozehound phono, sowter SUTs etc..
Shared DIY - Google Photos
I have som Altec 604s on stock and have built and renovated several loudspeakers and kits although only using only precut cabinet materials as I dont have the necessary routers, table saw etc.

Last edited:
Quick question. Im currently running with bias of .6V and the F6 heatsinks are only lukewarm. My focus is getting the most quality out of the amps and not max effect as I have effective horns and dont need the effect. How far is it practical to push the bias?

Must say though that they are quite good amps. I can for ex. enjoy late night low volume listening and still get deep insight into the music and dynamic contrasts. The F6s dont paint as big a picture as my 300B amps but far more resolved, nuanced and relaxed.

:) :)
I would like to thank mr Pass for giving his designs to, and in supporting, the DYI community. Its great to be able to build/assemble amps of this quality.

The pass forum on diyaudio is also a great place with helpful and knowlegeable members. I think I cought an extremely contagious virus. Late last night I all of a sudden realised that in a moment of great weakness I had accepted a paypal payment on a site called Ed.. something :)

Back to the F6 hum question (see a few pages back), i had some time today to install the transformer in an L-bracket. Subjectively this didn't yield much difference, but the FFT shows higher overall level of 50, 100 hz and harmonics - I now see a forest of harmonics extending up beyond 2khz, where before they ended somewhere between 1-2k. Both 50 and 100 hz are up by 20dbFS, so im sure this forest is simply because the overall noise level is higher. Oh well...

I will reset the transformer configuration and next up try the DIYA rectifier PCB with some Schottky diodes instead (no snubbers). I bought these:
MBR40250TG ON Semiconductor | Discrete Semiconductor Products | DigiKey
To try. I guess 250V/40A should be a safe enough rating?