F6 Illustrated Build Guide

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
................I thought the F6 transformers serve as Buffers ??
If so? is there any purpose in using a B1 ?...............

..........Thanks :eek: but that doesn't really help with my limited Electro understandings. A childs' level answer..bitte.

output devices in F6 are working in counter-phase , so they must be modulated in same manner;

transformer is doing exactly that - input SE signal is transformed at secondaries in two SE signals, opposite in phases

to drive xformer properly - there is need for buffer in front of it - that's exactly pair of these two JFets in input, pretty much same in construction as B1 R.2

would you use B1 in front of F6 - yeah, you bet - every $$hitty volume pot is singing better when having decent buffer following it , and that's exactly what B1 is - volume pot enormously helped by buffer connected after

is this simple enough ?

:clown:

Yess Thank you ! ..
Now your first answer is perfectly clear/understandable .
A good answer.. IF one was knowing this info to begin with.
Have a shitty Dact gizmo now (only) in front of My F6 and it works V well !
(acclimatized to crappy gear over the preceding decades I suppose).
Will happily build/fit one then. Is there currently anything even better ? ;)

As small defence: I Asked a couple of Years back about fitting a B1..
but forum answers said: that the F6 had inbuilt buffer and a B1 wasn't Needed.
Clearly ..Not All forum answers are as good as their Posters think :D

So I thought I was doing well! I’ve got the amp up and running. No smoke, pops whistles or anything. Bias and offset more or less spot on 500mv both sides. But the left channel is considerably quieter then the right! Centre voices are not all the way in the right speaker but two thirds there.
I’ve swapped interconnects and it stayed with the left speaker.. Any ideas please guys?

Thank you

Ok, so I’ve just turned the amp on this morning from cold and the imbalance has returned! Left channel output much quieter. Swapping interconnects doesn’t alter anything. Is this something to do with heat then? As it warms up, could it alter a component? I’ve ordered another 5k pot, could it be that? Looks like I’ll have to take the board out doesn’t it?
Would anyone suggest specifically what to check for please? I’m a first time builder, so direction would be much appreciated. When it worked though last night, it sounded great. I’m really impressed.
Thank you

either bad solder point or faulty trimpot

you'll know when you replace it

in a meantime, don't think too much, do something else

:)

That’s a good point. I tend to be consumed, as my wife is well aware! :D I’ll leave it until Tuesday, replace the pot first and see what happens.
I’m assuming a bad pot could do what I’ve described?
Thanks Zen Mod

Sorry, couldn’t resist, told you I was consumed. This is a photo of the pins of the capacitor nearest the offset pot. One of the solder joints is pretty bad.. this was the first ever pcb I’ve populated (in my poor defence!). Is this the likely source do you think, anyone?
Please, no abuse over my soldering.. ;)
thank you

Attachments

• 0181690D-EA12-4139-A18E-17E93215EFDC.jpg
    0181690D-EA12-4139-A18E-17E93215EFDC.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 258