F6 Illustrated Build Guide

Just wanted to share a bit of acoustical fireworks for playing through your Pass amplifiers.
"Escape from Taiwan" by Johnny Staats. I have been playing this through my BA-3/F6 combo. The videos on Youtube are amazing. Another awesome group is the Fox Tower Band out of Germany.

Absolutely Nothing.. I would imagine.
Remember: Komplete Newbie.. If I had the requisite knowledge, I wouldn't need to be asking ;)
So these cl60 's are the soft start?

Attachments

• F5PSUschematic.jpg
    F5PSUschematic.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 913
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Bare,

Look at the bottom of the page linked below:

Design Notes and Efficiencies | Plitron

The section called Inrush Current explains the need for the soft start. This type of technical note is available from many transformer manufacturers. Here is another example.

http://www.avellindberg.com/transformers/tech_notes/tech_notes13.htm

I put a soft start circuit on my Aleph J, and it seemed appropriate since I upsized the transformer to 400 VA. (this is consistent with the Plitron writing)

Considering staying with 300VA for the upcoming F6 build. (using the Nelson Pass circuit as drawn) The momentary switch circuit PCB I obtained has the soft start on it, and I will probably use it too, although a couple of thermistors sure looks simpler and cheaper.

I started populating my F6 boards this weekend and I have a couple questions:

1) Is the Aavid Thermalloy Thermal Interface Model 4180G ok for connecting the mosfet to the heat sink? It is a thick aluminum oxide piece. I bought from Mouser. If so, is the heat transfer cream necessary for this part?

2) How many builders are building the 2nd variable harmonic version? I'd like to know if it is worth the trouble to add the outboard pot or just build the standard diy version.

3) What is the size of the fender washer used to compress the mosfet to the sink, or does it matter?

TIA,
Jim