F6 Illustrated Build Guide

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Changing the transformer didn't solve the problem - I still have the buzzing/humming noise in my speakers.

I found another issue and fixed it too, but this didn't solve the buzzing/humming noise either. I found that R9 and R10 in the PSU were 2.2K wirewound 3W resistors so I swapped them out for 22K metal film 3W resistors, but as I said the buzzing/humming is still there I was so hopeful with this change! Oh well...

Thanks for the DC filter schematic. I am reading about it on the ESP website. All they really say about this circuit is that it may prevent a large, 500va or bigger transformer itself from "growling". Unless I missed this (and that is possible) the article doesn't really indicate that the DC offset issue they describe causes a problem in the transformer output, or that the circuit shown will mitigate issues with buzzing or humming in an audio circuit being driving by the PSU a transformer is attached to.

Note that I have adjusted DC Offset at the speaker connectors to effectively zero. Please help me understand then why DC offset in the mains would show up in my speakers.

One last thing. Could the noise I'm hearing be caused by the LEDs in the PSU, or by the resistors I used to reduce voltage to them? How about the LEDs in the amp boards? Could they be making the noise audible in my speakers?

Thanks!

I once had a bad PSU cap that caused a similar issue. Well, I can’t say with absolute certainty that it was a bad cap, but changing the caps on the PSU took care of it. I tried reflowing first.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
If the magnetic flux becomes saturated because of DC, it will cause a whole host of problems.
If the new transformer is also buzzing you will want to fix this, you will never get a good result with a transformer performing like this.

The new transformer is physically quiet, unlike the old transformer which had a noticeable hum. I'll pursue a potential DC issue resolution but I will continue to look for other solutions until I get this squared away.

Disconnect the amp and test psu with light bulb tester
Measure Rail Voltages
Measure Resistance from Signal 0V to chassis
Does Transformer still buzz

If all that checks out, connect one channel and retest

Disconnect that channel then connect the other channel and test

I have a variac I used to slowly bring up the PSU, so I don't have a light bulb tester setup. I'll work on that.

Rail Voltages:
PSU No Load: 25.3v + -
PSU + L Channel Only: 23.3v + -
PSU + R Channel Only: 23.5v + -
PSU Both Channels: 22.7v +-

Resistance from Signal 0V to chassis (CL-60 between the PSU Board and Chassis tied to mains ground pin) 10 ohms

I did notice that with only one channel powered up hum in the speaker connected is around half as loud as with both channels connected. This result was the same with either channel connected and I tried this test multiple times.

I still have hum in both speakers :(

Joined 2011
Paid Member
If the magnetic flux becomes saturated because of DC, it will cause a whole host of problems.
If the new transformer is also buzzing you will want to fix this, you will never get a good result with a transformer performing like this.

Disconnect the amp and test psu with light bulb tester
Measure Rail Voltages
Measure Resistance from Signal 0V to chassis
Does Transformer still buzz

If all that checks out, connect one channel and retest

Disconnect that channel then connect the other channel and test

What will cause noise, is if your references used to bias your circuit are current starved.
What resistance value are you using to feed the zener/led references?

LEDs, Resistors, and Zeners

PSU: LED Dropping Resistors R20, R21: 4.7K Ohm 1/4w 5%
PSU: LED TLHR6400 Red Diffused 5mm

Amp: LED Current Limiting Resistor R13: 10K Ohm 1/2w 1%
Amp: LED TLHB5400 Blue Tinted Diffused

Amp: Zener Z1, Z2: 1N4735A-TR 6.2v 1.3w
Amp: Resistor R7 feeding Z1: 10K Ohm 1/2w 1%

Thanks again for your patience!!

Glen

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I think with 6.2V zener, R7 and R8 should be 3K3

You're referring to Zen Mod's post #27? I read through that thread but the updated values for R7 and R8 didn't make it into the BOM and that's where I started. I'll get these 3K3 resistors on order. But if I have to change these, I might as well go ahead with 2 pico dumbs LED mod.

However, I wonder if anyone thinks with 6.2v for Z1 and Z2 and R7 and R8 being at 10K ohms as they are in my circuit would cause a hum through the speakers...

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
You have a ground problem. That the buzzing gets worse when you short the inputs is verification. Something is attached that shouldn’t be, or something that you think is attached to ground actually isnt.

I suspect a wonky joint at the PSU connecting the two sides together, and/or perhaps you have cold solder joint or two holding the PSU caps to the board. The photos you’ve posted have been good, but sadly no glaring error is obvious.

Your amp works fine - you have proper bias and no output offset.

Last edited:
LEDs, Resistors, and Zeners

Amp: Zener Z1, Z2: 1N4735A-TR 6.2v 1.3w
Amp: Resistor R7 feeding Z1: 10K Ohm 1/2w 1%

Thanks again for your patience!!

Glen

Replace both R7 and R8 with anything between 2.5k and 5k. A lower value is better.
This is most likely your problem. Either way it should be fixed.
10k is current starving your zener. You have zero regulation.

Fix this immediately.

Last edited:
But if I have to change these, I might as well go ahead with 2 pico dumbs LED mod.

However, I wonder if anyone thinks with 6.2v for Z1 and Z2 and R7 and R8 being at 10K ohms as they are in my circuit would cause a hum through the speakers...

1) Yes. Make sure you install the leds in the reverse direction to zeners.
2) Yes, if you have high efficiency speakers. This should be fixed.

There is still the possibility you have an additional problem, but let's make this amp as good as it can be and eliminate all potential problems.

The leds work best around 8mA, so a 2k to 2.5K resistor for R7 and R8. They work better than zeners for all values of current, but at 8mA they are even better.

Last edited:
Changing the transformer didn't solve the problem - I still have the buzzing/humming noise in my speakers.

I found another issue and fixed it too, but this didn't solve the buzzing/humming noise either. I found that R9 and R10 in the PSU were 2.2K wirewound 3W resistors so I swapped them out for 22K metal film 3W resistors, but as I said the buzzing/humming is still there I was so hopeful with this change! Oh well...

Thanks for the DC filter schematic. I am reading about it on the ESP website. All they really say about this circuit is that it may prevent a large, 500va or bigger transformer itself from "growling". Unless I missed this (and that is possible) the article doesn't really indicate that the DC offset issue they describe causes a problem in the transformer output, or that the circuit shown will mitigate issues with buzzing or humming in an audio circuit being driving by the PSU a transformer is attached to.

Note that I have adjusted DC Offset at the speaker connectors to effectively zero. Please help me understand then why DC offset in the mains would show up in my speakers.

One last thing. Could the noise I'm hearing be caused by the LEDs in the PSU, or by the resistors I used to reduce voltage to them? How about the LEDs in the amp boards? Could they be making the noise audible in my speakers?

!
Have you even tried mounting the Antek Flat on the base plate (not vertical as in your Pix) ?? Significant fields come out the axis of a Toroid
I have My leds mounted on the inside of the face plate of my Case.. shining thru 1.0 mm holes ..their teeny Cat 5 power wires travel far(ish), yet there are no noises as result. Look elsewhere ?

My F6 is totally quiet with my ears to the speakers.

However, i have the same buzzing hum issue as you when i build the other ClassA amp.
It started with both channels power thru a single toroidal with SLB crc board.

For weeks, i struggled with this humming. And i keep thinking there is some thing wrong with my boards. Then some helpful guy told me to isolate channel by channel individually.

Then i found out, when powered as a single mono bloc configuration, they are both totally quiet individually, without me doing anything to them.

So i know i have some kind of ground loop issues with this set of mine, till date i still cannot resolved this problem, so i run them as a dual mono bloc in s single chassis.
2 trafos, 2 SLB, 2 channels in 1 chassis.They are all quiet now.

However i can still replicate the same buzzing issue by just going back to single power supply.

Try running your single channel with the power supply first, and see what results you get.

@jameshillj
I am interested in those manganin resistors.
Tried to resistor on elfa website but couldn't for telephone number. It seems like they don't accept from
outside of Europe.
Did you buy them from Australia before?

Since you have installed the LED mod, I would now suggest to also using 0.1 Ohm resistors to further reduce any thermal effects to as low as possible.

If you're going to invest that kind of money you may as well maximise the performance as much as possible. Go with 0.1 ohm.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
You have a ground problem. That the buzzing gets worse when you short the inputs is verification. Something is attached that shouldn’t be, or something that you think is attached to ground actually isnt.

I suspect a wonky joint at the PSU connecting the two sides together, and/or perhaps you have cold solder joint or two holding the PSU caps to the board. The photos you’ve posted have been good, but sadly no glaring error is obvious.

Your amp works fine - you have proper bias and no output offset.

I have been looking and looking for a ground problem but so far if that is the issue it has eluded me and defied all the other troubleshooting. I have good continuity between all of the ground points. I used liquid flux on all of my solder joints and the solder flowed quite well.

I hope Georgeged and 2 picoDumbs are on to something with changing R7 and R8 to a lower value. Someone on the The diyAudio Firstwatt F6 thread also posted something about using 10K Ohm resistors for R7,8. I need to find that post to ask if that person had hum in the speakers too...

Thanks for hanging in on this with me!!!

Joined 2011
Paid Member
1) Yes. Make sure you install the leds in the reverse direction to zeners.
2) Yes, if you have high efficiency speakers. This should be fixed.

There is still the possibility you have an additional problem, but let's make this amp as good as it can be and eliminate all potential problems.

The leds work best around 8mA, so a 2k to 2.5K resistor for R7 and R8. They work better than zeners for all values of current, but at 8mA they are even better.

I assume 3R3K resistors would be okay in this circuit too? Also, can the E-562 current regulating diodes replace R7 and R8?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Have you even tried mounting the Antek Flat on the base plate (not vertical as in your Pix) ?? Significant fields come out the axis of a Toroid
I have My leds mounted on the inside of the face plate of my Case.. shining thru 1.0 mm holes ..their teeny Cat 5 power wires travel far(ish), yet there are no noises as result. Look elsewhere ?

I did - I removed the Toroid and sat it flat outside the chassis. No change! :(

Oooo - I think I'll drill the faceplate for LEDs too!