F6 Illustrated Build Guide

My chassis is not an urgent matter at all. On a bright side, my chassis is traveling through parts of Europe that I've not seen yet...Italy and Paris!

Yeah, they've been having some delays lately. Luckily it's nothing serious, it's just a matter of waiting a couple more days.

The funny thing is sometimes they start in Milano then go to Paris then Germany then Milan again then fly to the US... I guess those shipments really like to travel :D

I'm not an experienced European traveler, but I loved both Paris and Northern Italy. Gianluca of Modushop has a family B&B near Bologna.

Let's all have a BBQ there once things start getting better :p

My chassis arrived today. It looks great! The packing looked impressive.

Northern Italy...Gianluca of Modushop has a family B&B near Bologna.
I would love to visit Nothern Italy. A good friend of mine was born and raised in Nothern Italy. Unfortunately he passed a couple of years ago. He always told me that his family made the best wine. And that they would open up special bottles for special occassions. He always told me that his favorite dish was his mother's chicken liver/garlic and olive oil pasta and that dry wine paired well with the dish. He did not like American pasta. Too much sauce, he said.

May be someday...if I do i will look for your family's B&B.
It's so amazing to know that my amp consists of parts from all over the world. It started from a dreamer in Nothern Cal!

Joined 2019
Paid Member
"Balanced Iron Pre" sounds like a nutritional supplement but I'm going to guess that it's a transformer output preamplifier that you gave up on. Please elaborate.

Definitely did not give up on it. It's a fabulous pre-amp. I listened to it on cardboard for months. I decided it needed a proper home. It's mostly complete, but I need to get a new back panel blank and have someone that knows what they're doing cut it for me along with some holes for LEDs in the front panel. The back panel is functional, but I can see all the uneven cuts and poor alignment. I clearly can't be trusted with nice things. :rofl:

See this thread for more info.

What's wrong with the kiss,boy ?

Definitely did not give up on it. It's a fabulous pre-amp. I listened to it on cardboard for months. I decided it needed a proper home. It's mostly complete, but I need to get a new back panel blank and have someone that knows what they're doing cut it for me along with some holes for LEDs in the front panel. The back panel is functional, but I can see all the uneven cuts and poor alignment. I clearly can't be trusted with nice things. :rofl:

See this thread for more info.

What's wrong with the kiss,boy ?

That pre looks interesting. I've got loads of decent output transformers from an ADC audio console that would be great for that. May try it when I get some other things finished.

I can relate to the metal work problems. Been there to. It would be nice to have a drill press and punches in the shape of the power inlet. I ended up using round gripping strain reliefs for my projects' power cords. It's easy to fine round punches and drill holes.

I am looking at the pictures in the build guide related to the power supplly connection - I can see in the (white) connectors that power comes in from the socket - goes through two CL-60s - I assume this is a sort of surge protection - but then there is a blue thing that is apparently a line cap and it looks like it is shorting out the two (red and black) leads coming from the power socket - it must be a ground thing - What is it?

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
C9 in the PSU schematic.

F5PSUschematic.jpg

C921U332MZVDBA7317 KEMET | Mouser

PSU question

My project is slwoing going. I am now working on my PSU. Looking at the schematic, I observe that the Channel A Negative (Ground) and the Channel B Postive are tied together with a CL60, and then to the ground.

Ultimately, Channel A and B are constructed differently?

Please explain the rational behind it. I am trying to learn.

Thank you,

Joined 2012
Paid Member
My project is slwoing going. I am now working on my PSU. Looking at the schematic, I observe that the Channel A Negative (Ground) and the Channel B Postive are tied together with a CL60, and then to the ground.

Ultimately, Channel A and B are constructed differently?

Please explain the rational behind it. I am trying to learn.

Thank you,

The two channels are identical. Each channel requires positive (V+) and negative (V-) power. See amplifier schematic in post #1. The power supply provides V+ and V- to both channels.