F6 Illustrated Build Guide

Thanks guys, much appreciated, especially finding them on eBay! And yes, I do tend to get a bit 'anal' about some of the details - it's a 'sort-of' challenge, or a puzzle! (I think there's a name for people like me!)

I did find a couple of different types of spring tension washers suitable for an M3 screw on the net (fitted between the screw head and the large 'penny washers') and am a bit undecided about the pressure to apply to the transistors - there seems to be a range between 2.5lbs and 7lbs - I've only looked at McMasters Carr and the MSC company - quite a range.

The transistor clips I've used apply are specified at 60N (about 10lbs) but I think it's a lot less in practice.

Working on Salas's L-Adapter to drive the F6 amp, biased to about 1.7A - going a bit overboard but ...

Thanks James and everyone - that pretty much gives a "ball park" tension range - some of the cheaper torque screwdrivers start about the 5 inch lb range.

I found some of the 3mm "penny washers" (thanks Colin) and the Belleville 'triple wave' washers seems a good way of doing things if there's not enough space for the clips.

SOS
My Deluxe 4U steel is in SOMMA LOMBARDO, IT, and scheduled to arrive on this Friday. I am putting my boards together. All the parts are in and I am almost done. BUT! I just realized that I bought the zeners in pairs of 5.1v, 5.6v, 6.0v for Z1, and Z2 instead of quades (4). My question is do the value of Z1 and Z2 have to be same? Or can i mix match. In other words can the value of Z1 be 5.1V and the value of Z2 be 6.0 V?

thank you

Last edited:
Perhaps worth re-quoting the original recomendation from Zen Mod.
hogwash
all we need is some simple logic
10K from 23 to 9V1 will let 1,39mA through
5K pot across 9V1 will eat 1.82mA ........... if available ....... which isn't so replace 10K with 3K3 , put 6V8 zenner and there you go that way :
3K3 will let ~5mA through , from 23V to 6V8
5K will bleed 1.36mA across 6V8 , leaving (5-1.36)mA through zenner , absolutely stable

I wouldn't want to say it over in the M2X thread, but... :)

I switched back from my new M2X (with only a wire for the IPS) to the F6 (also with just a wire instead of the JFETs, with the Mez DCB1 driving). Turns out I ended up listening to music the whole day -- man, I really like the F6!

I'll do some listening with different input stages on the M2X later, let's see if any of them can do better than the wire... but so far, advantage F6!