Sony VFET Amplifier Part 2

Not sure if this has come up before, but if I wished to swap out the 47uF & 220uF electrolytics for film caps, what would be the minimum values needed in order to avoid bad things from happening ?
I am curious because several people have done this with the B1 Korgs 10uF ecaps, using 0.22,1, and 3.3uF film subs, reporting a positive improvement.
TIA

Joined 2004
Paid Member
C1 to C4 are pretty much simply filter caps on the outputs of the TL431 regs. There's nothing to gain from using boutique caps for C1 to C4.

In regard to C5 and C6, the consensus seems to be that they're DC-level shifting caps and are not to be viewed as coupling caps in a strict sense. They more or less correspond to C1 and C2 of the First Watt F4.

Searching the F4 thread, I've gathered the information that the absolute value is not really critical, and that anything above 100uF should do fine. Going lower supposedly results in turn on thumps of the amplifier, and still going lower will form a highpass for the audio signal.

It's been said that it's not worthwhile replacing C5 and C6 in the VFET amp with non-polar, possibly film-foil capacitors.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Awhile back in the 'What To Do With Those 2SJ28's' thread you mentioned a potential balanced design using 2 VFETs per channel:

One thing you might want to try is bridging two of these, one with the 2SJ
and the other with the 2SK.

The kit I have in mind has 1 VFET and 3 Mosfets, all in TO-3 packages.

The other option is 2 VFETs and 2 Mosfets for either balanced or stereo,
but getting twice as many VFETs for it remains an issue.

I'm curious if a balanced option will be possible with the upcoming 1 VFET kit, for those who have VFETs on hand, or if that was an entirely different design (happy to wait for the unveiling if this reveals too much ;)).

I have a nice inventory of TO-3 power fets

:)

That's super cool. My guess is vintage silicon(s) ?
Eventualy this TO-3's have some modern equivalents or substitutes ?
Vfet Part 3 is the most enigmatic one haha

I hear this is gonna be the project for Saturday at Burning Amp. Awesome!!

Information source please ? From BAF team or..?

Attachments

• EC9AB8C5-5133-4E56-995C-830D087394CF.JPG
    EC9AB8C5-5133-4E56-995C-830D087394CF.JPG
    396.9 KB · Views: 838
  • E3EF345D-30F4-463B-A4C5-872055B66E8D.JPG
    E3EF345D-30F4-463B-A4C5-872055B66E8D.JPG
    362.9 KB · Views: 822
After viewing Burning Amp on YouTube which outlined DEF amplifiers and also the SIT variants I have come here to purchase something which I can build. I would like to ask for direction with 'where to go in order that I might buy these parts/kit/PCB/etc'. Thanks and kind regards, HK