Sony VFET Amplifier Part 2

So.....this is not part3?
Maybe as mono blocks?

Is it an amp that can be purchased today?
Or was it just a kind of "demo-amp" to celebrate Sony V-FET?
If someone has it......how does it sound?
Like a SE Triode amp just with a lot more power and bass control?

Attachments

• Pass_sony.jpg
    Pass_sony.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 368
So.....this is not part3?
Maybe as mono blocks?

Is it an amp that can be purchased today?
Or was it just a kind of "demo-amp" to celebrate Sony V-FET?
If someone has it......how does it sound?
Like a SE Triode amp just with a lot more power and bass control?

I heard the monster Pass VFET at California Audio Show a few years ago and spent a good bit of time in the room (Sony Speakers and exhibit).

It wasn't tubey. More like ultra clean --non- solid state-- solid state. VFET brief but sweet, deep tone and a great listening experience with the Sony speakers. More devices may not serve quite as well as fewer devices, but still a masterful sound. I thought I would like to have heard it with a directly heated triode preamp in line.

My Yamaha B2 and the Sony 8550 have a more OTL directly heated triode type sound, but again, not strictly comparable.

Last edited:
I'd bet you'd still like to own one :)

Monster amps aren't my thing, even VFET. However, I do wonder who got ahold of those limited production huge VFET amps, and I wonder if anybody even listens to them in a system on a regular basis.

I am luddite enough from the era that 25 watts of class A push pull seems to be a lot of power, rather than the current notion that it is just squeaking by.

When I play my Yamaha B2 louder than I can stand with my 89 db or so crossover-less panels, the meters seldom if ever bob above the 10 to 15 watt range. I know the meters are not accurate, but the word is they tend to err on the side of showing more power than is actually being dissipated by a factor of 50 to 100 percent (because they are for visual excitement as much as visible measurement).

Last edited:
Do you think Papa himself has one at his private home?
….or just the smaller FW amps?
Has there ever been a Riaa project in this forum (I know off topic….but I was thinking of all the turntables there are around…..I remember that Papa has a lot…..and he probably use some kind of Riaa…...maybe a tube based…...or probably SK170 based…...or opamp based)?