Sony VFET Amplifier Part 2

I found all the parts for the chassis and put it together with rubber bands to see if everything would fit. The bottom and top are perforated, and I'll probably add a small aluminum plate to mount the power supply PCB. Also, I'll probably use tallish feet on it so air can flow through the bottom and out the top via convection. I'm not sure what I will use for the face plate, but I'm thinking of using wood. It's wide enough for the horizontally oriented Vfet PCB and bracket, and it's tall enough to clear the capacitors on the power supply PCB if I place the Aleph J PCB below the Vfet bracket. Seems like a go! I hadn't put together the Aleph J yet mostly because of a fear of tapping all those holes in the aluminum (and built a dozen or so tube amps instead). My least favourite part of this hobby is chassis work. I am going to practice a bit on some aluminum pieces I have handy, and give it a go in the next few days. Very exciting!

Attachments

• IMG_7758.JPG
    IMG_7758.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 774
  • IMG_7759.JPG
    IMG_7759.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 755
  • IMG_7760.JPG
    IMG_7760.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 755
  • IMG_7761.JPG
    IMG_7761.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 750
  • IMG_7762.JPG
    IMG_7762.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 590
Last edited:
That's 40 holes that need tapping. Do I have to use all eight holes in the Aleph J PCB that are for holding the actual PCB in place? Could I use the four on the corners, or less maybe? The Vfet brackets obviously need to have all the holes tapped. I'm starting to feel like maybe I should build another tube amp instead.....

Joined 2016
Paid Member
Tyco AMP connectors or similar

Zen Mod: Thanks. Using male to male jumper cables, and females chassis plugs makes more sense than switches in many ways, but I worry about myself, or someone else, plugging them in wrong if they are all compatible. Maybe barrel power connectors like the ones used on the end of wall wart transformers and something not compatible for the speakers?

You could use something like these for the chassis mount female socket:

211769-1 TE Connectivity / AMP | Mouser Deutschland

(with these, you have to buy the connector pins separately)

I haven't found them in female chassis mount 6-pin, but you get the idea ...

Mount two of them to the chassis, and use the corresponding male plug with appropriately shorted connections to select the amp ... as the connectors are keyed, no worries to plug in wrong, and nobody would plug something else in that doesn't belong there ... ;)

Best regards,
Claas

Joined 2016
Paid Member
That's 40 holes that need tapping. Do I have to use all eight holes in the Aleph J PCB that are for holding the actual PCB in place? Could I use the four on the corners, or less maybe? The Vfet brackets obviously need to have all the holes tapped. I'm starting to feel like maybe I should build another tube amp instead.....

Do not feel discouraged by tapping so many holes ...

I don't find it too bad. I drill a blind hole as a pilot hole (2.5mm for an M3 thread), and than hand-tap each hole with three consecutive tappers that get finer with each one ... it can even be slightly meditative (Zen-like :D) ...

The important point is to use a drill press for the blind holes. Do you have one or know one in the neighbourhood with a large enough drill press ?

Best regards,
Claas

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I guess it would be possible to find a fellow US DIYer who would be kind enough to forward them (or some) to interested European DIYers. That said, I'd be interested in a set of pcbs too :)

Are you looking for boards available in Diyaudio store? Sony VFET PCBs – diyAudio Store. The gerbers posted in 3097 are exactly for the boards above.

I can forward the boards to you guys in Europe for a cost of shipping if Nelson sends them to me.

Joined 2012
Paid Member
No, I'm looking for these original boards. With 4 outputs / channel. I have 4 pairs of matched VFET's lying around, which would be a waste not to use. They were spares for my big VFET-X build, until I received the superb matched sequentially picked VFET's from the DIYAudio store.:)
I haven't open the Gerbers yet, I thought they were for the 4 output version?

Attachments

• VFET-part2.jpg
    VFET-part2.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 539
No, I'm looking for these original boards. With 4 outputs / channel. I have 4 pairs of matched VFET's lying around, which would be a waste not to use. They were spares for my big VFET-X build, until I received the superb matched sequentially picked VFET's from the DIYAudio store.:)
I haven't open the Gerbers yet, I thought they were for the 4 output version?

Just opened the Gerbers. They are the single-pair output version.
I am interested in the two-pair output version as well.