Sony VFET Amplifier Part 2

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Halfway through my VGS testing my hope is fading on some good matches!

VGS Reading
2SK82
A 7.77 B 8.29
C 7.80 D 8.63
E 8.34 F 9.58
G 8.61

2SJ28
Z 6.83 Y 7.16
X 8.00 W 11.29
V 8.4 U 11.97
T 9.09 S 11.17
R 7.83

Regards,
Dan :eek:

So far C+R and E+V for one channel and :scratch1:

Regards,
Dan

I may have got it backwards here. I was trying to match P's to N's when I should be matching P's to P's and N's to N's?

Last edited:
Sorry about that. I am working on a board respin for my FE. If anyone wants the old boards, you can have them. The new boards will be available at roughly double the cost (to account for the previous screw-ups). The output stage is still being tested - need to get on a drill press at some point. The FE would also make a pretty nice preamp, I would assume.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Here's my resistor BOM from partsconnexion,
Resistor%20BOM_zpsg1y4knfj.jpg

Regards,
Dan :)

Sorry about that. I am working on a board respin for my FE. If anyone wants the old boards, you can have them. The new boards will be available at roughly double the cost (to account for the previous screw-ups). The output stage is still being tested - need to get on a drill press at some point. The FE would also make a pretty nice preamp, I would assume.

What are the issues with the boards?
I may be intetested.

Joined 2010
Paid Member

If I may, I'll take 4. I reckon I might use them for a few things - a pre amp seems logical!

Um, and happy to pay something too. Let me know what's good for you :)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Demo

Anyone in the Twin City's interested in hearing the V-FET part 2. I will be demoing my set at the Audio Society of Minnesota meeting tonight.

I'm hooking them up to our Big Magnepan 3.6's. I'm planning on rolling them off at about 80hz and using the subs so I can get a little more out of them.

Fun for all...:)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
What an great opportunity to hear the Pt 2 amp! Too bad I'm in PA, wouldn't be able to make it to MN in time. I'd be interested in comparisons that anyone has between the Pt 1 and Pt 2 versions.

The part 2 amp is more dynamic and has a bit more detail. The part 1 amp is very nice, a bit looser on the bottom and it sounds great on horns.

I like them both, it's just a different type of wine.

What I want to know is can I get a Mosfet amp with Schade feedback to sound as good as these V-FETs?

Sometime this fall I will find out.

Anyone in the Twin City's interested in hearing the V-FET part 2. I will be demoing my set at the Audio Society of Minnesota meeting tonight.

I'm hooking them up to our Big Magnepan 3.6's. I'm planning on rolling them off at about 80hz and using the subs so I can get a little more out of them.

Fun for all...:)

Very Cool,

I have a pair of modded Maggies and eagerly await your findings.
Which subs will you be using?
Are your VFET amps using single complementary pairs per channel or are they paralleled multiples?
Since the Maggies love current, I'm curious what minimum quantity of complementary paralleled pairs of the 2SK82/2SJ28 VFETs would be needed to properly drive them full range.
Thanks Botte.

The part 2 amp is more dynamic and has a bit more detail. The part 1 amp is very nice, a bit looser on the bottom and it sounds great on horns.

I like them both, it's just a different type of wine.

What I want to know is can I get a Mosfet amp with Schade feedback to sound as good as these V-FETs?

Sometime this fall I will find out.

Do you have any of the other FW amps to give a comparison of the difference between one of them and the VFet 2?