Sony VFET Amplifier Part 2

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Depends on what amp design you are going to build with them. In the original VFET part 2, Nelson uses two outputs paralleled, biased at 19V and 0.5 A each. So around 20 Watt total. That will work on this heatsink. but you will need two of these, because the 2Sk82s need a heatsink too :D
Also the regulators need a heatsink.

Depends on what amp design you are going to build with them. In the original VFET part 2, Nelson uses two outputs paralleled, biased at 19V and 0.5 A each. So around 20 Watt total. That will work on this heatsink. but you will need two of these, because the 2Sk82s need a heatsink too :D
Also the regulators need a heatsink.

Thanks for your advice.

I'm looking forward to an SE design using only 2 P channel vfets, perhaps a ccs mentioned earlier by Papa, or maybe the recently unveiled V-Fetron. I'm thinking that I'll only need enough dissipation for a pair of 2sj28.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Slightly off topic, the Moon W-5 layout intrigues me,

The chassis' stiffness and solidity are impressive. Under the lid and behind the *"-thick front panel are two hefty 1000VA toroidal transformers; each amp channel has four 22,000µF smoothing capacitors, a roomy and clean printed circuit board, and eight TO-3-cased power transistors arranged as four sets of matched pairs. The power transistors are bolted to an extrusion mounted to the inside of the curved heatsinks, which form the side walls of the chassis. Generous heatsinks are mounted to many of the smaller transistors on the pcb. Overall, this is an impressively executed design.
Read more at Simaudio Moon P-5 preamplifier & W-5 power amplifier Page 2 | Stereophile.com

I wonder what TO-3 devices they use? I'm wondering where I'm going to find room for my 600VA toroid let alone two 1000VA transformers!

Regards,
Dan :D

Last edited: