Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Sony VFET Amplifier Part 2
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th March 2018, 07:40 PM   #3571
Marra is offline Marra  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Scott try Isopropyl alcohol as a lube. I've found that it works extremely well without leaving a residue.
Old 21st March 2018, 06:39 AM   #3572
GnuB is offline GnuB  United States
diyAudio Member

Marra, thanks! That is so timely! I started a dry assembly today prior to soldering and found there was oil still in the tapped holes even though I have given the heat sinks a wash in soapy hot water, followed by a rinse...and was going to ask Claas how he dealt with it.
I was shaving wood match sticks and screwing them down into the holes! :-(
Thanks again!
Old 21st March 2018, 09:12 AM   #3573
chede is offline chede  Germany
... fascinated by amps
diyAudio Member

I usually go into the tapped hole with a bit of tissue paper and a toothpick.
After that, I screw a bolt into the hole “solo” and wipe off the remaining cutting fluid that still emerges. After that, I don’t bother with any possible remaining residue.
So far, could not detect any dilution of the goop I use with my Mica insulators when I removed the FETs after a few months.

Last edited by chede; 21st March 2018 at 09:21 AM. Reason: A bit of clarification of procedure
Old 21st March 2018, 11:45 AM   #3574
wdecho is offline wdecho  United States
diyAudio Member

Brake clean or carburetor cleaner will cure the problem. Spray directly into holes. Tapping raises the holes some so be sure and file down level with the surface or you may encounter poor transistor contact.
Old 21st March 2018, 12:06 PM   #3575
... fascinated by amps
diyAudio Member

Ah!
Very good point about the raised rim. I second wdecho in the importance of getting rid of that.

What I do there after I‘m finished with tapping is using a larger drill bit (say, 6-8 mm diameter for a 3 mm thread) for deburring. I just turn it between my fingers, no machine power. That way I get rid of the raised rim without scratching the heatsink around the hole.

Checking if the surface is flat / planar and no raised rim remaining:
I cautiously run a metal ruler edge-on across the surface and look if any light peeks through beneath it.

I don’t use a file, because I want a near-perfectly flat and smooth surface at the mounting area of the FETs, with no deep scratches.
So I smooth the heatsink surface with something like grade 1000 sandpaper (European term, don’t know if that perfectly translates, but basically very very fine). It‘s like polishing, and best done with wet sandpaper. So I can smooth out roughness in the anodized surface.
The guys with an automotive diy hobby probably know what I‘m talking about

Maybe we should start a mechanics-related thread

Best regards, Claas

Last edited by chede; 21st March 2018 at 12:10 PM.
Old 21st March 2018, 02:47 PM   #3576
Eric is offline Eric  United States
diyAudio Member

My approach to drilling / tapping / mounting output transistors is this:

1) drill the hole to be tapped
2) go up several sizes of drill bit and just "touch" the hole to remove the heavy portion of the deformation (first image)
3) tap the hole
4) smooth with fine sandpaper and water/oil. Wrap sand paper around a square/flat block of metal so you don't further deform the surface of the sink - think of it as polishing like Claas indicated (second image)
5) pipe cleaners and/or air compressor is excellent for removing chips from tapped hole so they don't bind up the screw that goes in
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8566.JPG (74.1 KB, 517 views)
File Type: jpg FetMounting.JPG (34.0 KB, 463 views)

Last edited by Eric; 21st March 2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old 21st March 2018, 03:03 PM   #3577
Eric is offline Eric  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm not sure how well "pipe cleaner" translates, so here is another image. It is essentially a thin, twisted wire with cloth fibers protruding out in all directions like a long, thin brush. I fold it in half and run it up and down through the hole a few times. This method removes a surprising amount of chips from the newly tapped hole.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6231.JPG (71.2 KB, 462 views)
File Type: jpg CHN-300X6-PLY-MLT-50P__67584.1486426714.jpg (256.8 KB, 444 views)
Old 21st March 2018, 04:24 PM   #3578
... fascinated by amps
diyAudio Member

Dear Eric:

Great tips, and thanks for the pictures, they make everything so much clearer !

I’m on a business trip and don’t have access to my own pictures, so this really helps

Best regards, Claas
Old 21st March 2018, 06:06 PM   #3579
GnuB is offline GnuB  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys, great tips!
I was thinking of doing a bit of counter-sinking but hadn't tried it, but didn't think of using it to removed the raised rim.
I removed the rim by using fine wet-dry sandpaper wrapped around the other heat sink...counter-sinking first would speed this step up quite a bit.
Eric, I'll pick up some pipe cleaners and use the air compressor that I didn't think about in the mean time.
Thanks again!
Old 27th March 2018, 09:34 PM   #3580
MASantos is offline MASantos  Portugal
diyAudio Member

For anyone interested I am considering selling 2 vfet essential kits with other pcbs needed for the part 2 amplifier, see here:

IC: 2x sony vfet essentia kits, PSU PCB's, vfet part 2 PCBs and other acessories

Sony VFET Amplifier Part 2Hide this!Advertise here!