Sony VFET Amplifier Part 2

I upgraded my Sony VFET part 2 with:
+ Double power supply
+ Replace some resistors in the signal path with tantalum non magnetic
+ C5/C6 with Rubycon BG FK serie
+ Remove Z3/Z4
+ Better wire for interconnect
+ TO-3 package regulation (IRF240/IRF9240)
+ New chassic without fan on the heatsink:rolleyes:
The result: the sound was good and now is better so much:p

29492758793_af3d4fa9ca_o.jpg

29492758603_27ce729a8e_o.jpg

30121462015_bd740af3a8_o.jpg

29492758333_469e589d83_o.jpg

30006931342_f818a24dc2_o.jpg

+ Double power supply
+ Remove Z3/Z4

Hi,
I saw you have 2 extra small transformers per channel under the amp board and a small circuit board at the back plate, what are they for ?
What do you meant by "TO-3 package regulation (IRF240/IRF9240)" ?

Very nice built.

Thanks

Hi,
I saw you have 2 extra small transformers per channel under the amp board and a small circuit board at the back plate, what are they for ?
What do you meant by "TO-3 package regulation (IRF240/IRF9240)" ?

Very nice built.

Thanks
My amp have 4 chokes Hammond 156B for DC filter. You saw the loudspeaker protection on the back panel and one small transformer supply 24VAC;)
I used all TO-3 case transistor beside vfets for good view.

Last edited:
+ Remove Z3/Z4

very well done job! my best wishes! :)
just few question: which resistors exactly in the signal path have you replaced? why removing the Z3/Z4? and no switch for changing between global/local feedback?

Dear Nagini, Buona sera amico.
Fantastic work, incredible finish, all DIY!

One question:
Does produce it much heat with this chassis?
I estimate the sizes of your amp, but, shall you specify them?
Thanks in advance and again, congratulations.
You are the builder I dreamed to be!!

One transformer - dual supply?

If you have one transformer with dual secondaries, 2 x 22Vac, each secondary connected to a bridge rectifier, and then the rectifiers connected to the cap banks, is it then possible to make a rCRC + dual rCRC powersupply? The left and right channel will then have separate capasitors for the last part of the powersupply, but have do you go about for audio and supply "ground" and for return currents to the transformer windings. Maybe not the best solution? I tried to make a sketch to explain:

Attachments

• Dual cap supply.JPG
    Dual cap supply.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 491
Thanks all!
+ I upgraded R21/R41/R42/R1/R2/R3/R4 with tantalum resistors, others are Takman metal film (REY).
+ Papa removed all zeners for protect VFETs and MOSFETs regulator, I just removed zeners protect VFETs because I think it necessary:p
+ I and all my friends have the same idea, that is the sound without global feedback is better so I removed the switch;)
+ The new heatsink is expensive and must pay the shipping cost so I try to find the second hand heatsink that used in a industry machines and because of that I can't active to calculate the size, I must follow the size of heatsink that I found:(. After combine 4 heatsinks, my amp dimension: 520mm (D) x 135mm (H); that is the size I must fix and just calculate the wide:mad:. This is the original VFET P2 so Papa said the bias is 1A to 1.5A, my amp running at 1.25A at about 50 degrees (Celcius):cool:

+ I upgraded R21/R41/R42/R1/R2/R3/R4 with tantalum resistors, others are Takman metal film (REY).
+ Papa removed all zeners for protect VFETs and MOSFETs regulator, I just removed zeners protect VFETs because I think it necessary:p
+ I and all my friends have the same idea, that is the sound without global feedback is better so I removed the switch;)

many thanks! enjoy the excellent amp!

andRookie, take a look at the 2012 F6 talk over at FIRST WATT ARTICLES which is showing such a PSU.

Thanks! I read that you could "split the RC networks out the each channel separately" but I am still not sure how to do it regarding ground and return currents to transformer secondary. I`ll try to do more search here and at the power supply section.

+ Double power supply
+ Remove Z3/Z4

29492758793_af3d4fa9ca_o.jpg

29492758603_27ce729a8e_o.jpg

30121462015_bd740af3a8_o.jpg

29492758333_469e589d83_o.jpg

30006931342_f818a24dc2_o.jpg

Oh Man that great build amplifier. Bravo !
Enjoy :D