First Watt F7 review

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Or it could be your browser doesn't have the correct plug-in to open PDFs in your browser. Another reason could be your PDF app isn't set to open PDFs in a browser or to open them from the internet for security reasons.

In Windows OS, try to right-click the link and hit, "save target as" and save it to your computer. Security scan it if you must, then try to open it. Most anti-virus software will scan anything you open first anyway.

This looks like a repurposed Genuine First Watt amplifier that's been fitted up with a copy/clone of the F7 amp - I would imagine the original cost more than E1000 so this is recycling at it's best.

I bought a First Watt F3 from RenoHifi (plus X2.5 pre) and it didn't suit my system and it's now working well with the F6 cloned pcbs and upgraded power supply (Cap Multi's)and may eventually end up being fitted with the cloned F7 circuit - we'll see ...

I don't think it's wrong to sell a repurposed amplifier as the original was a genuine purchase and there's no attempt to label this Ebay item as a factory built unit - it's not a 'knock-off' like many others.

… just my opinion here, my 2 cents.

I'm not sure where this fits into the clone/copyright act - as it says quite clearly on the pcb that it isn't a Passlab's assembled First Watt amplifier, this might be deemed okay - perhaps someone 'in the know' might be able to clear this up.

Nelson does actually support people building their own amplifiers and there's many 'F' amps around, but not sure how he views a copy of a current production item and offered up for public sale.

I thought about exchanging the innards of my 400A with the Tea-Bag VFET2 boards. I decided not as I still would like my 400A as is, that is after repaired. I could have decided to make my make my own VFET2 clone PCBs. And if I was not happy, I could have sold it to a friend, or probably on eBay would have been ok. I realize this is not exactly the same as the F7 still is a commercial product, and the circuit is not published. Is this F7 clone a 100% copy (from e.g. a purchased F7) or is it something based on the F7 proposals in the thread? And is it a one-off?
Anyway, our benefactor needs his bread and butter. We, and everyone else, should be happy to get all the circuits he publishes for free, and not drill into his commercial offerings.

I'm not sure where this fits into the clone/copyright act - as it says quite clearly on the pcb that it isn't a Passlab's assembled First Watt amplifier, this might be deemed okay - perhaps someone 'in the know' might be able to clear this up.

Nelson does actually support people building their own amplifiers and there's many 'F' amps around, but not sure how he views a copy of a current production item and offered up for public sale.

Yes but the ad states its a Pass First Watt amplifier,no clone mentioned.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
it's clearly written on pcb :

"tnx to Papa
Friendship F7"

so , chill , it's without writings on face or back , it's just 1K , it's obviously just one piece

whoever it is , good luck with sale , having some geld for future fun with Papamps

hope it is not some other serious reason , to get apart with that gem

For one's own personal use and enjoyment, a DIYer can generally copy (clone) or imitate another person's copyright or trade marked audio design. For commercial or profit purposes, that is not the case. NP's designs are copyright and trade mark protected. He is extremely kind in sharing many of them with DIYers.

Applying to personal or educational usage of copyright is the "fair use" provision in U.S. code:

"In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include—

-- the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature;

-- the nature of the copyrighted work;

-- the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

-- the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

Given Nelson's extreme generosity in providing designs and support to DIYers, I think the most ethical and respectful thing is for one to keep any project based on his designs for personal use only. That is the "fair" use I would imagine Nelson envisioned when offering the design or PCB.

If you are selling a DIY Pass project -- or parts from it -- on this website to another basic DIYer will Nelson be offended. Likely not, especially since the sale will probably not even recoup your cost of investment and another DIYer will be buying it to tinker, while you move on to your next project.

Once one moves to another outlet, such as eBay or the like, one may still be covered under fair use. But rather than do that, I would suggest the folks on this website keep things within the DIY community out of respect for the generosity of the designer.

In addition, if you are not sure about the circumstances of your use of IP, or in selling a personal item based on one's IP, all you have to do is ask the rights holder.

I am playing with my version.
This PCB is very small, just 60×70mm.

Attachments

• F7_mini_v0262_3D.png
    F7_mini_v0262_3D.png
    102.4 KB · Views: 1,096
There is a guy in Thailand who sells on eBay copies of First Watt enclosures, and from time to time, complete clones of first watt/Vfets amps with no shame. I don't mind the enclosures but selling complete clones under the user name phoenixaudioactions (or something like that sounding like Reno HiFi which is the official place to buy/trade legit First Watt amps) is a complete violation of copy rights if you ask me. The clone mentioned above looks like one of these amps. I think Papa knows about this imposter but I don't know if there was any legal attempts to deal with his auctions. I don't know why eBay allows these guys to sell on ebay. Everytime I type Class A on ebay, I see at least 20 may be 30 clones of PASS pcbs anywhere from ACA boards to hi-powered Aleph boards, 99% are from China. They clone everything.