Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Hats off to Mr Pass, encouragement to new members
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th May 2015, 04:56 PM   #1
Russellc is offline Russellc  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Hats off to Mr Pass, encouragement to new members

Recently oreo382 was thanking Mr Pass concerning his newly built Aleph J. I feel exactly the same way! I have managed to build F-5, B-1, BA-3 Preamp, BA-3 amp and Pearl 2 phono stage.

I have absolutely no background in electronics, other than early interest as I could not afford the equipment I desired. I do have excellent soldering skills and some decent solder stations as equipment. My solder joints are nice. All of these projects are stable, work extremely well, and each and everyone is as silent as the grave.

Yes, I had doubts about each and every one of these projects, and doubts have prevented me from proceeding with Turbo F-5 V2, and Shunty Pumpkin...but I continue to read and reread the materials and threads. Iwill build that Shunty Pumpkin, may sell off the F-5 turbo stuff, not so interested in it right now, that may change.

So if you are on the fence, go for it...if I can do it you can too. Just learn to solder and Identify parts, ask lots of questions.

Now, Thank you Mr Pass, You made all this possible. I can not design, but I follow recipes and instructions very well. Thanks for the donation of your design abilities, time and generosity that allowed me to build these wonderful pieces. I hope to make it to a "Burning Amp" one day.

Thank you DiyAudio, for this site which attracted those who know, to provide me with answers to my questions, preventing me from reaching a limit to my knowledge and halting. Also, the DiyStore has been a large help proving needed parts that allow me to use nice circuit boards, the making of which is another skill I dont possess.

Finally, thanks to the members who provided info and answers to my questions, allowing me to proceed. (Especially the Build Guides)

I always felt I could get it cobbled together, but the info and parts availability brought by this forum is what allowed me to build them AND have them be stable, as well as dead quiet.

Thanks all,

Russellc
Old 14th May 2015, 05:39 PM   #2
Dennis Hui is online now Dennis Hui  Canada
Hoopy Frood
diyAudio Member

Hear, hear.
Old 14th May 2015, 05:51 PM   #3
lafish is offline lafish  United States
diyAudio Member

I second that emotion!
Old 14th May 2015, 06:28 PM   #4
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

ook

advice from old geezer : invest in bada$$ bigbadaboomoldschool sensitive speakers** , stay at moderate (FW range) power level and cheap bliss is there

** with Econowave you are already there

mebbe just proper TL cab for boomer
Old 14th May 2015, 06:41 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
ook

advice from old geezer : invest in bada$$ bigbadaboomoldschool sensitive speakers** , stay at moderate (FW range) power level and cheap bliss is there

** with Econowave you are already there

mebbe just proper TL cab for boomer
what do you recommend as TL boomer? Are they efficient or should they be driven with separate amp?

The Econowaves pictured in my Full bias thread are essentially the lower half of JBL 4430, volume, tuning, crossover and zobel. It makes pretty good bass, especially with 2nd plug in Jbl cab...Also have a set of Altec A7 in basement, fairly bada$$ bigbadaboomoldschool sensitive....but not much bass below 50Hz...

Russellc
Old 14th May 2015, 07:11 PM   #6
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

what I meant is , if bass driver permits , is that I prefer decent TL box , vs. usual BRs

something in line with http://tinyurl.com/m36av73 and Sonido , (almost) 1,5 Way speakers by ZM , Woland Edition | Zen Mod Blog

or with Big Tannoy MLTL for Woland , part 2 …….. (I’m proud ) | Zen Mod Blog

maybe that's just my old ears ...... but I'm finding cleaner mids (upper working range of bass driver) besides better defined bass (Doppler blahblah)
Old 14th May 2015, 07:23 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Nice pics in those links...

Russellc
Old 14th May 2015, 10:33 PM   #8
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

I know .
Old 14th May 2015, 11:01 PM   #9
wdecho is offline wdecho  United States
diyAudio Member

Old geezer advice, if you want big sound get big speakers. The sales pitch has always been "This little speaker sounds as good as big speakers". Of course there is always the WAF one needs to consider, but I do not have that problem.

I also want to thank Mr Pass for sharing his knowledge and every other talented person that contributes to this forum. I would have never been able to finish some of my amplifiers and other circuits without DIYAUDIO. I use to assemble kits 40 years ago but building from a schematic was not something I would have tried until I found this forum. Thanks everyone.

David
Old 15th May 2015, 12:59 AM   #10
res07njc is offline res07njc  United States
diyAudio Member

I echo old geezer advice. There is no replacement for cubic displacement.. #big&rich

Last edited by res07njc; 15th May 2015 at 01:06 AM.

Hats off to Mr Pass, encouragement to new membersHide this!Advertise here!