Hats off to Mr Pass, encouragement to new members

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Recently oreo382 was thanking Mr Pass concerning his newly built Aleph J. I feel exactly the same way! I have managed to build F-5, B-1, BA-3 Preamp, BA-3 amp and Pearl 2 phono stage.

I have absolutely no background in electronics, other than early interest as I could not afford the equipment I desired. I do have excellent soldering skills and some decent solder stations as equipment. My solder joints are nice. All of these projects are stable, work extremely well, and each and everyone is as silent as the grave.

Yes, I had doubts about each and every one of these projects, and doubts have prevented me from proceeding with Turbo F-5 V2, and Shunty Pumpkin...but I continue to read and reread the materials and threads. Iwill build that Shunty Pumpkin, may sell off the F-5 turbo stuff, not so interested in it right now, that may change.

So if you are on the fence, go for it...if I can do it you can too. Just learn to solder and Identify parts, ask lots of questions.

Now, Thank you Mr Pass, You made all this possible. I can not design, but I follow recipes and instructions very well. Thanks for the donation of your design abilities, time and generosity that allowed me to build these wonderful pieces. I hope to make it to a "Burning Amp" one day.

Thank you DiyAudio, for this site which attracted those who know, to provide me with answers to my questions, preventing me from reaching a limit to my knowledge and halting. Also, the DiyStore has been a large help proving needed parts that allow me to use nice circuit boards, the making of which is another skill I dont possess.

Finally, thanks to the members who provided info and answers to my questions, allowing me to proceed. (Especially the Build Guides)

I always felt I could get it cobbled together, but the info and parts availability brought by this forum is what allowed me to build them AND have them be stable, as well as dead quiet.

Thanks all,

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
ook

advice from old geezer : invest in bada$$ bigbadaboomoldschool sensitive speakers** , stay at moderate (FW range) power level and cheap bliss is there

** with Econowave you are already there

mebbe just proper TL cab for boomer

what do you recommend as TL boomer? Are they efficient or should they be driven with separate amp?

The Econowaves pictured in my Full bias thread are essentially the lower half of JBL 4430, volume, tuning, crossover and zobel. It makes pretty good bass, especially with 2nd plug in Jbl cab...Also have a set of Altec A7 in basement, fairly bada$$ bigbadaboomoldschool sensitive....but not much bass below 50Hz...

Russellc

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Old geezer advice, if you want big sound get big speakers. The sales pitch has always been "This little speaker sounds as good as big speakers". Of course there is always the WAF one needs to consider, but I do not have that problem.

I also want to thank Mr Pass for sharing his knowledge and every other talented person that contributes to this forum. I would have never been able to finish some of my amplifiers and other circuits without DIYAUDIO. I use to assemble kits 40 years ago but building from a schematic was not something I would have tried until I found this forum. Thanks everyone.

David

Agree wholeheartedly Russellc! No background in electronics, just handy building kits. This diyaudio journey has been fabulous. I've paused following the completion of the Amp camp mated to a low voltage aikido preamp. The F2J has been on the backburner for over 12 months due to family commitments, and the fact that these two kits sound great. At some point, I'll have to get over being afraid of mains voltage and just do it. A big Thank You to Nelson Pass, John Broskie and all the knowledgeable people here at Diyaudio for helping us in the pursuit of audiophile nirvana on a restricted budget! :cheers:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.