About possible Babelfish J interest

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
well , since I forgot to instruct my amplifiers to reach melting and working temperature instantly , there is no use of puttin' da lid from start :rofl:

if possible , work one channel solo , then second channel

less things to take care of in same time

if you're not sure in things , better to read some tutorials around ....... even if some other amps are in question , there are similar general rules

and , I believe I already covered few things in this very thread

ask again , if needed

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
So next on my list was to build proper preamp to match the babelfish j. I know this is bit OT, but do you have any suggestions? Should I look for tube or SS could also work OK?

beg 6L6 and boyz- for Iron Pre .... to put it ASAP in Store

or go berserk .... and go for Iron Pumpkin

:rofl: - I'm heavily biased

you have more than enough info in few related threads to make your own iteration , if you are eager to

So I've been playing babelfish for a few evenings already. Haven't tested it yet with pair of Monitor Audio bookshelves, rather connected it to DIY full-range Alpair speakers. Before I had these speakers connected to class T tripath chinese amp so obviously the first impression was "whoa! where all these sounds come from" :D Bass is so much more tighter, more pronounced. I can hear every single recorded detail. It brought Alpairs to next level, though I think the bottleneck switched to speakers now :))

Attaching few photos.. Still planning to get the front plate Babelfish J logo made, I think I seen it attached in this thread somewhere. Also need to allocate some proper space for the amp, otherwise it is serving now as good heater for the doggo.. :D

Thanks ZM again for help! With the amount of information around it is quite a good project for the beginners.

Attachments

• upload.JPG
    upload.JPG
    592.1 KB · Views: 466
  • upload2.jpg
    upload2.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 451
offset behavior

Dear all,

I had nothing to do this morning, so I checked the dc-offset of my Babelfish j, that I built about two years ago. That time the dc-Offset started at 800mV and sank to about 0 really slow.
Now it starts at 1,2 V and sinks as slowly as earlier to zero, as you can see in the diagram.
Will 1,2 V destroy the loudspeakers? What should I do to lower the initial offset?

Best regards, axel

Attachments

• my-babelfish-j.JPG
    my-babelfish-j.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 377