About possible Babelfish J interest

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
huh

few busy days , besides having head/eye troubles , due to some funny virus (that's fun , having kidoe in elementary school)

I sorta postponed/delayed fabrication of pcbs (do not worry , un-paused today ) due to repeated demands of making them adaptive to usage of multiplied outputs , based on two additional triplet mosfets daughter-boards per channel .

so , it's done , along with minor changes to minimize any possible PSU rippling influence (due to increased current demands with more outputs) , safe dissipation of funny (led string feeding) ccs , logical rails routing to daughter pcbs , logical sense routing etc. blahblah

so - for full stereo blastbanghurah , you need two base pcbs and four daughter boards

also tried to adapt them as possible to armchair DIY Club :rofl: , to accommodate as close as possible universal-mounting-specification-v2.1 (which is far from Wild West Miracle Elixir )** .......

**anyway - if you are in this hobby/passion/whatever - you need to have few drills and taps around , and you need to know how to use them ...... nobody can't predict all possible drill/mounting schemes in this world ...

few random notes :

output mosfets of choice are IRFP150 - each one worth of two PapaIRFP240usuals ; if you're good with up to 30V rails-2A Iq - 50W/mosfet dissipation (whichever you meet first and/or together) - use one pair on basic pcb
if you need more coyones , skip basic pcb mosfets , put daughter boards and :
- for more W @ 4R load - increase sum Iq , leave rails at basic level
- for more W @ 8R load - increase sum Iq , up rails to ...... well , that you either need to know , or need to ask

for both cases - best to ask for advice - is there something needed to change , regarding few values on base pcb and how to make proper wiring

so - base pcb iteration - worth of two pairs of PapaIRFP240usuals
- base pcb sans onboard mosfets + two daughter boards - worth 6 pairs of PapaIRFP240usuals

all that speaking of one channel

in any case - minimal Iq per mosfet vertical is aroundish 400mA ; maximal - better look in conjuction with rails value , no more than 50W/device .... so veeeery close asymptotic to real FAB area :clown:

base pcb is one side copper, with tricks
daughter board two side copper , same tricks

now , on to some relaxing ...... there is sun out and I need some air through my ears/nostrils/eyes/two cells :rofl:

Attachments

• SS2.png
    SS2.png
    40.7 KB · Views: 2,015
  • ss3.png
    ss3.png
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,999
  • SS4.png
    SS4.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 1,971
  • WWME.jpg
    WWME.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 1,937
  • SO.jpg
    SO.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,405
Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
:cheers:Have fun in the sun ZM, my semi-annual golf outting is this afternoon in beautiful weather.

From what I read above, the IRFP150 x 2 on the base board will be the equivalent of the 2 "papa-standard" pairs on my Aleph J from the DIYAudio store. I hope to do the new one as mono-blocks, and keep the best sounding amplifier, giving the other to my son.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
group shipment made today ..... :p

that means that I'm going to do someting about few informative pics and schematics and sketches

all that , as always , from my own Futile Attempts Method Lab :rofl: , which is (btw.) situated right near to OPLDF

few pics , read captions ...... lazy to do that tiresome insert into post thingy

Attachments

• 06-Daughter boards.jpg
    06-Daughter boards.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 282
  • 07-you'll get that twice.jpg
    07-you'll get that twice.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 382
  • 08-or you'll get that twice.jpg
    08-or you'll get that twice.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 400
  • 09-use this trimpot shape in all positions.jpg
    09-use this trimpot shape in all positions.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 372
  • 05-Daughter boards.jpg
    05-Daughter boards.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 341
  • 04-Daughter boards.jpg
    04-Daughter boards.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 347
  • 03-what you get basic-JFet CCS detail.jpg
    03-what you get basic-JFet CCS detail.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 360
  • 03-anemic green.jpg
    03-anemic green.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 402
  • 02-what you get basic.jpg
    02-what you get basic.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 454
  • 01-what you get basic.jpg
    01-what you get basic.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 463
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
few more pics

btw - side-screw trimpots either pins in line or zig-zag , it'll fit

if pcb mounted vertically , all trimpot screws will point upwards , with clear path to them

Attachments

• IMG_2931.jpg
    IMG_2931.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_2930.jpg
    IMG_2930.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 349
  • 12-or this.jpg
    12-or this.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 382
  • 11-this.jpg
    11-this.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 439
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
About those 1uf mkc phillips
There are blue and yellow body with same code number
What is the different??

Thx.

nothing - just color

( I can make them in any color you wish ......... :rofl: )

Beautiful work friend. Professional !
Buenisimo macho....

tnx .

as everything from Futile Attempts Method Lab

:clown:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Mine has shipped, thanks ZM!

Any special recommendations on soldering the power mosfets to the backside of the board, as the holes are not through plated? I'm used to bolting the mosfet down, fit the legs to the holes, and then boring the board down, and soldering the mosfet legs in.

My thought is the the mosfet has to be mounted on the board, an the board then bolted on. Then the holes for the mosfet bolts can be located, drilled and tapped.

Excuse my noobiness, but if there is an easier way, please enlighten.

Also, will the 4u modushop chassis do? I used the 5u one from the DIYShop for my current Aleph J.

Thanks again,

Michael

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
as I said , I'll put few more pics and few words these days .......

as you can see from pics - there are some small funny holes/pads around each mosfet leg pad ....... trick borrowed from Japanese amps of yore - one wire bridge at both sides of each mosfet pin

that way you can put mosfets through hole either from bottom or top side , solder it either from top or bottom side , or you can put pins/legs laying on top and solder them to wire bridges

hey - you can put pins/legs laying on bottom side and solder them to pads , while wire bridges are taking care of pads not peeling off ;)

there was no need for two layer board ....... and I got that idea simply because I did repair one damn huge Pioneer drek amp in these days ......

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
......... trick borrowed from Japanese amps of yore - one wire bridge at both sides of each mosfet pin...

so , with addendum of some niceandshiny solid core wire , you can mount output critters on base pcbs in three way , bending legs accordingly and soldering them on side where it's easiest; same applies to daughter pcbs , where small wire bridges are also implemented (pics in #26)

:clown:

Attachments

• IMG_2967.jpg
    IMG_2967.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 599
  • IMG_2966.jpg
    IMG_2966.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 2,871
  • IMG_2965.jpg
    IMG_2965.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,517
  • IMG_2964.jpg
    IMG_2964.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 1,529
  • IMG_2962.jpg
    IMG_2962.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,579
Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
regarding pcbs in current realm ... just for fun of it there is place for one fat or even fatter wire bridge , connecting upper and lower mosfet (group)

-place nice one on either side of pcb on N1-N2 pads or
-in case of not using daughter pcbs place fat one on either side of pcb on AD-AS (all drains-all sources) pads or
-place fat one on pcb bottom on N1-N2 pads ; that's universal solution , covering both cases - just base pcb mosfets or daugther pcb mosfets

Attachments

• IMG_2968.jpg
    IMG_2968.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 527
  • IMG_2970.jpg
    IMG_2970.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_2971.jpg
    IMG_2971.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_2973.jpg
    IMG_2973.jpg