Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

About possible Babelfish J interest
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th February 2018, 09:13 AM   #371
Zen Mod is online now Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

150W/ch

well ....... install nice fat wirebridge on main pcb , on speaker route

think trice about gauge of wires ...... can't be sure in reference I can get from pictures, but they look tiny for amount of ambition .....

I hope , when you are talking about 38Vac/52Vdc , that you're talking about twice that ... (+/-)

will be back soon with figures
Old 18th February 2018, 09:21 AM   #372
Coasttocoast is offline Coasttocoast  United States
diyAudio Member

ZM thanks as always!

Using your references Thick = 14ga, Medium = 16/18 ga, Thin = 24ga

I don’t need 150wpc per se, what do you recommend for what I have?
Babelfish J as Aleph 2, McIntosh C2300, RAKK DAC Mark IV Extreme, Oppo UDP-203 DVD/CD, Custom SP10 MKII/SME 312s/Koetsu Urushi Black, Magna Mano streamer, Ekta Grande speakers, DIY 13" ScanSpeak sub's w/REL amp boards, Transparent Super cables.
Old 18th February 2018, 09:47 AM   #373
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

ref to sch in #315

increase R12 to 5K6 (normal metal film) , to save little piggy of poof

counting on fact that you're using source resistors of 0R27 .........

you'll end up with rails of aroundish 48V .......

to use everything of it , and still in full current envelope at 8R load , you'll need sum Iq aroundish 4A ....... that being 4A/6 per vertical pair

be sure that (R24+TP3) combo is giving you range of min 35K and upwards (start from MINIMAL value , which is giving you min Iq)

set Iq as 0A65 through vertical pair ( being 0A65 x 0R27 = 176mV across any of 0R27 resistors)

be sure to have sum value of sense resistors (those biggies parallel on main pcb ) as 0R27/12 ...... thumb of rule is value of source resistor divided with double number of vertical pairs

you'll end up with 2 x 48V x 4A of heat ... which is 384W , divided with 12 mosfets ...... means 32W each

give me heatsink arrangement pic again , just to calm my conscience

and , yes - this way you'll be close to 150W/8R ...... with plenty of greenies to frittfritt each month , for electron-bill

why don't you resort to some normal hobby , for geezers as we are - drugs , hookers, big cars .......
Old 18th February 2018, 09:58 AM   #374
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

well ...... if you compare these two pics :

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

these big honking bstrds (pictured on my messy bench) are cruising with 350W of heat per case ..... and that most probably just right for summer

taking that in account ..... I believe you must go even lower , to say 300W of heat max or even lower

which means that you must go even lower with sum value of (R24+TP3) ;

if you can't decreas Iq enough , or if you see that Iq is too much wandering , you must go to increase of (R24+TP3) value and increase value of source resistors to , say , 0R47
Old 18th February 2018, 10:57 AM   #375
diyAudio Member

I keep thinking that amp building would be cheaper and less troublesome than drugs, hookers and big cars? Maybe not!

Since Iím stranded on an island in the Pacific and every component change requires 4 days for new parts (without paying crazy for shipping). Can I start the first one up as is to get a feel for heat dissipation? Adjust R24+TP3 as low as possible to remain steady and monitor heat?

Does R12 need to be changed to 5K6 no matter what?

Thanks
Babelfish J as Aleph 2, McIntosh C2300, RAKK DAC Mark IV Extreme, Oppo UDP-203 DVD/CD, Custom SP10 MKII/SME 312s/Koetsu Urushi Black, Magna Mano streamer, Ekta Grande speakers, DIY 13" ScanSpeak sub's w/REL amp boards, Transparent Super cables.
Old 18th February 2018, 11:05 AM   #376
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

R12 needs to be increased , to save little jfet bugger of going south

regular value is OK with regular rails , but you're in realm of Papa's ABFAB club

it stands what you intend - for R24+TP3 , monitor both heat and steadiness of Iq
Old 18th February 2018, 11:44 AM   #377
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
R12 needs to be increased , to save little jfet bugger of going south

regular value is OK with regular rails , but you're in realm of Papa's ABFAB club

it stands what you intend - for R24+TP3 , monitor both heat and steadiness of Iq
Great thanks!

These are the same heat sinks that WalterW used in his Sony VFET project. In his first post, where he tested these heat sinks, his test results were 80 watts per sink. I have 5 per amp so 400 Watts diapation?

Are you using these same sinks in your monster amp? And/or did you observe different results?

Should I start with TP3 and TP1 centered or ?
Old 18th February 2018, 11:52 AM   #378
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

TP3 at minimum , TP1 say centered

these big amps are having 350W of heat per case , that on 10pcs of heatsinks 250mm high

and that's 18 to 20C above ambient

go figure
Old 19th February 2018, 04:24 AM   #379
diyAudio Member

ZM, sorry to bother you some more, Iím so close and want to make sure I donít make any more mistakes. I know you have a zillion other projects going.

When I originally asked about the possibility of scaling up the Babelfish J to match my existing powers supply, you provided the schematic below in post 282. This schematic shows a 45volt supply with 0R47/3w source resistors along with some other changes. This was the schematic I bought components for originally.

Can you mark up this schematic and/or confirm what would be the best final choices? Some of the latest schematic markups of earlier versions are moving closer to the one attached below.

Thanks in advance

5B10C685-C290-4832-90FA-35F4D43F56CF.jpeg
Old 19th February 2018, 06:35 AM   #380
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

aha

yup , problem often is my multitasking

in fact , I am the problem , due to multitasking

just confirm - you're having 0R47 resistor mounted now ?

About possible Babelfish J interestHide this!Advertise here!