IRLB3813 Triode-curve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have not tested or played with any new interesting mosfets for a while now.

I would recommend the IRFPS3810 as the most "normal" and useful of those mentioned above. The IRFP7430 might be lots of rock&roll and fun, but it is something of an acquired taste. It can sound really good in a sourcefollower setup, and it would probably be really good for the lower part in a cascode.

They are quite cheap and is still available so I would recommed everyone to stock up on them today. The world is slowly but surely moving away from large high power devices like these.

The IRL3103PBF, IRFPS3810 and IRL3803VPBF has already got an NRND rating on mouser, so I am happy I stocked up on them last year.

They all have nice useful curves and maximum safe operating area, and once people find out how nice and well sounding they can be in simple amplifiers then the last of them will dissaper fast.

Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Thanks Mr Pass. Be fun to see what comes out of it anyway.

Will this schematic work? The inductor is 1 ohm, 3A.

Attachments

• Choke Loaded SE Amp Schmetic.png
    Choke Loaded SE Amp Schmetic.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 156
Joined 2000
Paid Member
concept older than transistor
Haha! That's a good one! :D

As a starting point, was going to measure 2v drop across the inductor for 2A.
Is that the correct way to go about it or should I be looking for a voltage midway between the 24v voltage source?
Is the voltage mid point used when there's an active CCS?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
decide what Iq you want to have , then measure voltage across source resistor to get it

you'll have drain voltage as rail minus voltage drop across choke , so practically 24Vdc-(Rchoke*Iq)

"voltage midway" you can get only if you have more ohms between rail and drain , be it pure resistor group or "active" resistor - anything done with big mosfet or BJT (Mu, CCS, Gyrator)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.