New PassDIY Headphone Amp (now available)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Ok, but designing a discrete amplifier from the ground up is different from throwing a discrete opamp in a design.

Very true! (Although those who make the discrete opamps would likely disagree...)

This circuit was designed with an IC Opamp.

Is it designed in such a way that it can be built with a balanced in/out option?

No. It's unbalanced the whole way through the signal path.

Hmmm...I'm a little confused.:scratch:
Is this amplifier Wayne's design, Jam Somasundram's design or a combined effort of both?
I've never heard of Mr. Somasundram before. Looks like he was with Cary Audio a couple of years ago.

This article states that Jam is "the engineering brains behind Pass Labs' forthcoming headphone amplifier".
Pass Labs debut INT-60 integrated, headphone amp at CES 2015 | DAR

So the $3500 amplifier is a totally different amplifier than the one you're presenting here?

Yes, I would suspect that the PASS LABS HP amp has much better power supply regulation and probably a discrete circuit from input to output.

Possibly moar power too!

This DIY version looks to have been designed to provide great sound whilst being quite easy to build (no need for bias adjustment, all in one board).

There are many good opamps around these days.
If you wish to have FET input, try OPA1642 or LT1169.

If you want to have FETs through out, check out :
https://www.passdiy.com/pdf/diyopamp.pdf
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/120445-pass-discrete-opamp-dip-8-package.html
Then you will have a Pass design through and through.
And you will have enough DIY challenges to trim DC offset and handle thermal drift.

If I were to redo it today, there are actually many more choices for SOT23 JFETs than 2008.
For the input diff pair, I would use 2SK2145(GR or BL), ideally made for the task.
For the other NJFETs including current source, I would use 2SK209BL.
The only exception is the diff pair CCS, which should be 2SK209GR.
For the P channel device, I might even consider PBMFJ177 or MMBFJ271.
All available from Mouser, e.g.

Still not good enough ?
Then you can always build a F5 with 2SK2013/2SJ313 at 100mA bias.

:)

Patrick

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
LOL...LOL! :rofl:

It isn't hard to figure out what Zen and Juma think about this design.

I'm hoping it'll sound better than the Lehmann clones.:xfingers:

what I said there exactly - was a comment about bias scheme - another breadcrumb for Greedy Boyz ........... not comment on preamp generally

and speaking of a preamp generally - I have no intention to dispute value of a gift to DIY community ..........

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.