Threshold DAC1/e on Audiogon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Asking $999. These don't come up very often so I'm curious. Who designed this? How do they sound? Can they be modified for higher sampling rates? There's so much nonsense and magical thinking in the DAC world that I often find myself wishing that Mr. Pass and Mr. Coburn would do something in this space. I'm a vinyl lover at heart, but there's lots of good music that isn't available on LP.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I believe it was made while Pa was there

Attachments

• DAC1-BRO-1.jpg
    DAC1-BRO-1.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 584
  • DAC1-BRO-2.jpg
    DAC1-BRO-2.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 546
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Beautiful gear, but save your money for something more current.
It must be at least 11 years old. That's more than 5 life-times ago in terms of technology. There's some very good DACs for $1k out there.

No offense.

Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Check out Schitt Audio Gungnir with USB and Uber output for $900.
Next model coming is suppose to be something special for $2k or so.
Parts are mostly US sourced and built in the US.

Where’d you guys come from?
For lack of a better phrase, we are “audio industry veterans.” Our two product designers come from Sumo and Theta, respectively. At Sumo, Jason Stoddard designed the following products: Polaris II, Polaris III, Andromeda III, Ulysses, Ulysses II, The Ten, The Five, Athena II, Diana, Artemis, Theorem, and Axiom. At Theta, Mike Moffat designed the Theta Pre-Amplifier, and at Theta Digital, designed the DS Pre, DS Pro, DS Pro Basic, and many other products.

Did I mention they are upgradeable? When new boards come out, you can install or have installed newer modules such as USB or output boards.
Just like a PC, as it should be.

Fully Upgradable, Future-Proof DAC

Worried about rapidly-changing USB input technology? Concerned about future advances in D/A conversion? Gungnir’s modular design uses separate, USB Input and DAC/Analog cards. When USB technology changes, we can simply drop in a new, better USB Input Card. When meaningful upgrades to D/A converters come out, we can drop in a new DAC/Analog Card. The result? A virtually future-proof DAC that won't end up in the dumpster.

Last edited:
I bought a Gungnir about a year ago and I am very happy with it. I'm still using my Rega Planet 2000 as transport by-passing the dac of the CD player and feeding the Gungnir using the optical links. I am using the RCA digital links to feed from an LG Blue-Ray/CD player and a Sony carousel DVD/CD player as well. I also added the USB port so that I can feed 96/24 and 192/24 files from my computer to the Gungnir. The sound in general has a vinyl quality to it, but when playing the Hi-Rez files the presentation gets even better than vinyl, and I did not think that was possible but it is. Spooky! (I have a collection of over 1500 lp's and vinyl is still my primary source)
The Gungnir brought an entirely new life to my CD collection, and with the Hi-Rez recording capabilities it takes the music to a higher plane.
Well worth the $900 (w/USB included) price of admission in my opinion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.