Cubie2

Cubie 2. Getting ready to etch.

Attachments

• cubie 2.jpg
    cubie 2.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 1,362
Juma, if you could glance at this and see if I've made a stupid mistake, that would be great. I think it is ok. Thanks!
Any special resistor wattages or cap voltages? I assume 25v caps for C5 and C6. (+-15v Supply).

Attachments

• Cubie 2parts.jpg
    Cubie 2parts.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 1,160
Last edited:
Juma, if you could glance at this and see if I've made a stupid mistake, that would be great. I think it is ok. Thanks!
Any special resistor wattages or cap voltages? I assume 25v caps for C5 and C6. (+-15v Supply).
I see no mistakes :up:
You got caps all right as well as ammel68 (C3 - 10V).
All resistors are 1/4W except R20 - I used there 1/8W because of tight space but you can use 1/4W and turn it to standing position. Its value is not critical - anything from 47k to 330k will do OK.

Dear Juma,

I am now in a doubt.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/183482-25w-cl-amp-lateral-mosfets.html

I know there is topology difference between these two, but if you could let me know, which one in your opinion has slightly better sound?
To be precise, more "tube" sound? :)

And one more, if I go with 24V rails and 1A quiescent current on Cubie, on which power level (8 ohm load) will it leave A class?

Thanks! :)

...if you could let me know, which one in your opinion has slightly better sound?
To be precise, more "tube" sound?
"Tube sound" means different things to different people. I can't be the judge of your subjective perception. You can hear SVAJA (diyaudio.rs member Zika has it) and Cubie is enough simple to build and test so you can decide for yourself. But if you really prefer the "tube sound" - build the tube amp. As for myself, I prefer Cubie2...
if I go with 24V rails and 1A quiescent current on Cubie, on which power level (8 ohm load) will it leave A class?
Not easy to tell since there is a present effect of square law transfer curve in output MOSFETS so the amp stays somewhat "longer" in class A, but I'd say that the amp will leave "real" class A when the peak current through the speaker reaches 2.5-3A.

The amp (everything but the amp board) is 98% finished. Cubie 1 is stuffed except no proper jfets. I was about to slap some higher value jfets in, then Cubie 2 hit. The higher value jfets will work better in Cubie 2, I think. I am anxious to show the amp off. It is pretty radical. Months of metal crafting/design. It is very cool. Waiting for parts to stuff Cubie 2. Thanks, Juma, this has been really fun.