Looking for help with Pass F5 mono's in Salt Lake City area

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I had a great time yesterday at erpiii's place, and and very happy to report that he built an amazing pair of monoblocks. All they needed was a bit of courage to keep turning the pots and get everything to bias up properly.

The heatsinks are genuinely amazing overkill... With a drop of .55V across the .47r source resistors, a bias of 1.17A, the heatsinks were warmer than ambient by 12deg F!!! Yes, that's not a typo, and it was true for both amplifiers. It's disconcerting to have such a low heat rise. :) We let them cook for quite a long time and they just didn't get warmat all, but all the measurements showed they were flowing current and behaving properly.

This is an interesting case --- the first bias limit reached will be the (safe percentage) of the rated disipation of the transistors... They are not going to get particularly hot running even at 1.5-1.7A bias, so even more could be tried.

The irfp240 is a 150w device, with a linear derate of 1.2W/degC above 25. So if they are cranked up to 65C at the face (also pin 2) they would now have a max dissipation of 102W ( as there was a loss of 48W with the 40 degC rise in temp)

I would assume that for safe and reliable operation you really don't want to exceed 1/2 your rated dissipation, meaning 50ish watt. With 21.5V rails that would be a whopping 2.3A bias, or a drop of about 1.1V across the source resistors.

I would be curious to know what Nelson's opinion of running an F5 this hard would be. It seems like an awful lot to me, but I've never had an amp with that kind of heatsink capability.

The amps are very impressive looking in person, I hope a few more photos are posted.

Yes, he is, as are you!

He dropped by and walked me through the biasing process. Between me looking at the wrong meter when checking the PS voltage and not wanting to blow something up, I had an aversion to turning the pots enough to see the voltage rise. I also discovered that my heat sink design is overkill! So far they are barely warm!

Thanks again, Jim, for making the time to drop by while in SLC, it was greatly appreciated!

so you acctualy had your answer in post #5 :)

This is why I love the DIY community!
Why the heatsink on the transformer?

There's a copper rectangle tube behind the heat sink that the rectifiers are mounted to, as well as the ground attachment. When I bought the heat sinks the price point for 10 was not much more than 8. It also helps a little with the cantilever of the torodial and PS board hanging off the other side. The rectangular tube is counter sunk into the sides and handles the torque weight of the torodial... the heat sink also covers the torodial from view and adds mass. A tit bit gaudy but the rectifiers will never get warm either. I plan on putting a magnetically attached glass on the fronts.

Im not going to be modding these anytime soon... they sound effortless with the B1 pre and I have a lot listening to do!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    669.1 KB · Views: 159
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    906.6 KB · Views: 158
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    929.7 KB · Views: 147
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    652 KB · Views: 155
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    699.3 KB · Views: 150
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    539.3 KB · Views: 100
The heatsinks are genuinely amazing overkill... With a drop of .55V across the .47r source resistors, a bias of 1.17A, the heatsinks were warmer than ambient by 12deg F!!! Yes, that's not a typo, and it was true for both amplifiers. It's disconcerting to have such a low heat rise. :) We let them cook for quite a long time and they just didn't get warmat all, but all the measurements showed they were flowing current and behaving properly.

6L6... I have raised the bias to .69V; 1.46A of bias. The heatsinks are running at around 88F, 21 deg F over ambient. They seem just a little warmer but not even close to hot. Between all the sinks there's just a warm updraft. Summer should net the same approximate ambient temperature due to all the the conditioned air heading down where the amps are. I think I'll keep the current bias in a holding pattern for a while; plenty of amp for my speakers in a small room!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.