The Aleph Design Reloaded

Joined 2009
Paid Member

I thought you would like to fantasize otherwise.

:cool:

yes of course, the bottle was in the foreground ....

But it is empty, no more interesting.....
the circuit,

could be a kind of balanced "Aleph reloaded" with hockey pucks.

Many 3W Panasonic could form the Aleph sense resistor and the cap in series with a resistor the Aleph injection.....

:))

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Has anyone tried the modification using
FQP3P20? I assume it should be, at least in theory, non-inferior to IRF9610.

The FQP3P20 and FQP3N30 are good parts, but I think the Toshiba J313
and K2013 are a little better, unless you need the higher Vgs for some
reason.

Of course the Toshibas are getting more difficult to obtain.

The IRF9610 suffers from "P channel distortion" noted elsewhere. The same
part # from other sources (Harris, Samsung) usually does not.

:cool:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member

the circuit,

Many 3W Panasonic could form the Aleph sense resistor and the cap in series with a resistor the Aleph injection.....

only half of Sony amp FE (or whatever that pcb FE is) is populated , so no balanced

will contact you tomorrow or day after (also replying on few e-mails I'm short to you) regarding Chinese or general east connection to make inquiries for toroid permalloy cores

Last edited:
to give some credit to what Generg said about Aleph30 (plain vanilla version with IRF9610): it is a very musical amp.

I also want to share another observation (maybe someone finds it useful?):

after I switched to BA-3b monos, the first couple of days I did not like the change. the BA-3b is more detailed, analytical in comparison and the top is more pronounced than with Aleph30. For that tonal balance change I find myself missing some of the bass I had before. I feel that the quality of BA-3b bass is clearly better, much tighter and more controlled, but feels as it does not go low enough and my ported Elsinores sound more like what I would expect from sealed boxes. with Aleph30 they sounded like ported boxes and most music had enough bass, while on really bass-heavy numbers like house and modern c---- they would start to lose it, bloating it and getting some room response etc. so with BA-3bs I will be bringing the sub back on line to see if I can get some of the tonal balance back while enjoying the tight midbass/bass. I also hope once I get that low ground back the analytical mid closes some of the gap to previously warm vocals with Aleph30 (I did not play yet with distortion settings of P3 pot, just left them set in the middle, plus i have alephP in the front since that's my only pre with remote volume control for balanced use, so I thought I should already have some 2nd harmonic distortion there).

well so much on this comparison. of course pairing amps with speakers and getting the brain accustomed to certain reproduction is a never ending game :).

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Thank you koja for this long description!

I try to avoid comparing this time as long as possible.....and I play only with the bias and
the CCS contribution.
I know 50% is wanted, but it is so funny to see how even 5% more or less give more or less bass fundament.
So it is possible to adopt the sound a bit to the speakers, like a tone control.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Forgot,

Using the P3 pot could solve all described effects, make yourself familiar with THD soundcard measurements and trim the sound please.

The Aleph P used in balanced mode could be k3 dominant, so I am not sure that you will have k2 dominance in the whole system.
For better understanding do you use the BBA-3 pre module and behind it two amp units per channel like in the XAs or only one amp unit per channel?
How many pairs of IRF do you use?

The BBA-3 Frontend can sound completely different depending on the the k2/k3 relation.
The middle position of P3 is no guarantee that you get a kind of "neutral" sound.
In this position you can have plenty of k2 or k3 depending on the matching of the j-Fets and Toshibas.

So you must do the THD measurement.....:)))

the circuit,

Looking closely at the monsterFET connections it looks more like a cascoded source-follower output stage, but I haven't figured out how the gates are driven. Their wires dissapear onto behind a big floating cap towards the right end of the power supply cap board.

Thanks Generg and ZM.

as for my system: I run AlephP with close to max gain as it was always a consensus that the IRF610s liked being run hard. I do not need the extra gain but the preamp comes with the built in Dantimax volume attenuator.

BA-3b P3 pots are set in the middle (no idea of the actual distortion; did not measure as I am too busy with too many projects open); for output stage in each monoblock I use two Peter Daniel F4 pcbs, so 2 x 3 pairs of fets.

except for nice tighter bass, I would admit right now BA-3b is less enjoyable than Aleph30 with my 85L ported Elsinores (with vocals anyways). Too analytical and with a bit too hot top end. Granted I have not played with P3 pot settings yet!!! (I hope that helps eventually).

I am not getting too excited about it though since I converted my Aleph30 to a BA-3b mono to prepare for LX521 speakers (I want to use BA-3b to drive the midrange on those; I hope those Seas drivers benefit from the "analytical" part).

well so much on my setup. I will leave the floor to people discussing different Aleph FEs. I myself would like to know if changing to 313s is worthwhile (I know the answer always boils down to: "try and find out for yourself in your application" but the more opinions the merrier ;))