Aleph 30 or Aleph J or Aleph 3 or Aleph 5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi, I use amphion one 18, 85db efficient.

I dont play music loud, so I dont need much more then 30W.

I want to try the pass lab sound!!!

Which of those aleph would suit me better and likely sound the most refined? as I only have a used budget of around 1k, I cannot go with f5 or other more pricey model...

thanks!

Last edited:
aleph j is in your opinion the best amp? I think its very hard to find on used market though.
is there another comparable amp?
I plan on buying a used unit then do the mods to get the best of that amp

which amp would give me the best platform to build upon?

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
To OP,

Where in Canada are you located? A few days ago there was an Aleph 30
(factory built one) in the Toronto area for $1200CAD. (I can't find the
listing any more so I guess it has been sold.) Anyway, you might find
something if you're patient.

Perhaps there are fellow diy'ers in your area who might be able to lend
you amps to try?

Cheers,
Dennis

Is there a big difference in sound between 5 and J? The original Pass Lab A5 is driving 95dB speakers here for many years, never overloaded. I'm wondering if J could be an upgrade.

A5 is a beautiful amp, both sound and chassis.

Last edited:
Aleph J 25 Watt Class A Amplifier Nelson Pass Design | eBay

This Aleph J clone the star ground is placed near the inputs. To minimize the loop due to the connection cables with the preamplifier the distance between the two pin jack is minimized. In this way CL60 is no longer necessary. In an Aleph J with unbalanced inputs this design seems to me a good idea.
Claudio

in my modest experience Aleph (I have an A30) lacks bass control on larger speakers; it's just outright sloppy there. I tried it on my Elsinores (85L, should be over 90dB/Wm) but I am currently adding subs driven with Dclass to biamp and limit Aleph to mid/high duty. Maybe a higher power version would change things there but I am not sure.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.