The diyAudio build guides

Started to order parts for F5 Turbo v2, two questions

Hi: I built the Buffalo 3 se kit succesfully, so I think I can get into this project. Most of my diy experience has been with tubes though.

So two basic silly questions: Antek 600 va 24 v secondary ok? I kind of read in the thread that these might not really be to spec. And, do the diyaudio store circuit boards come with standoffs? Thanks.

Started to order parts for F5 Turbo v2, two questions

Hi: I built the Buffalo 3 se kit succesfully, so I think I can get into this project. Most of my diy experience has been with tubes though.

So two basic silly questions: Antek 600 va 24 v secondary ok? I kind of read in the thread that these might not really be to spec. And, do the diyaudio store circuit boards come with standoffs? Thanks.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Backpanel parts kit has standoffs for amp pcb, as well as a lot of other parts that bit the chassis --

Back panel parts kit plus PCB / Transistor / Diode mounting parts kit – diyAudio Store

600VA 24+24 Antek was used for the build guide, it worked perfectly!

IMG_2284.jpg

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Actually working on it today.

Need to make new PSU so the photos are conforming, waiting on a bit of editing from Papa, and I realize I need to take a new set of photos to make things look totally consistent.

When will it be done? No idea, but hopefully soon.

Hello, I have a pair of F5 pcbs layout from CViller laying around (v1.0 dated 2008-12-14). Together with a pcb for the PS.
Now I wonder, are these still worthy of building, given the many new turbo versions? I would be satisfied with the 25 watts of the original F5, so that's no reason to go to a newer layout. But how about the sound, are the turbo version better sounding?

And of course, what about the build guides, are they of any use for the classic F5 (couldnt find a similar guide for the classic F5, except for the 1500+ pages F5 thread...)

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Build the F5 with your PCB. :D :D :D The F5T just have more power, there isn't an appreciable difference in sound.

There is a F5 build guide, but it's using the Peter Daniel PCBs. Much of the information is still applicable, as the only real differences are the board layout - it's the same amplifier, after all.

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thank you! That is exactly what I needed. That setup is in the Pass article too, but the article goes on up a few levels in complexity, and lead me to believe i needed to too (kind of like when his amplifier articles show a simplified then a full circuit, you don't build the simplified one)