BA-3 Amplifier illustrated build guide

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
This was a carefully designed test, and you've successfully passed and not passed at the same time. :) :( :) :(

Ok, not really... :D

This particular schematic is correct, however the lower devices are mis-labeled. Look at the MOSFET symbols, and you can see they are drawn as P-channel. The labels all say 240, but they should be 9240's

IRFP240/9240 are standard output devices.

P-BAC-S4V20-schematic_2_.jpg

In this schematic P101 should be 5k (as shown). To give extra adjustment range R125 decrease to 12K, P102 should be increased to 5K.

On the input board, use 1K pots for P1 P2
ok:):)

Hello 6L6

Did you ever built a Ba3 with a no feedback gain stage(the one from this build guide)with a single ended output stage? (the one from here) and if so there is anything else needed to be done differently from this guide (like different size transformer or matched IRPF240's or anything else i can not thing of)?

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Just use the bias boards and point to point the outputs. Or do mono blocks, BBA3 is what I have in mind......A single case might not handle that many without reduced bias? Not sure about that but I will go mono block BBA3 when I do it, already have parts, and the two of the standard Deluxe 5 will do, which I do not have yet. $$$$.

Russellc

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Remember that BA-3 (well, the whole series...) is free of global feedback, so much of the performance is counting on having high bias to keep the Mosfet in the linear range.

Bias is good. This is called the "Burning" Amp for a reason. Run it hot.

Yes Jim. You are correct. Running 3 pairs at 500mA bias each will be better than running 6 pairs at 250mA bias each. Would be nice though to have the current for one day when I get my Maggies. But to run 6 pairs at 500mA bias each will require beeeeg heatsinks. But right now my speakers don't require that welder type current.

Hi,
another question...
I got 8 x 47000µF, 4x12000µF and 2x22000µF
Witch CRC config could be better with a 500VA 2x25V transformer ?
small cap --- R --- big cap
or
average cap --- R --- average cap ?

I hope I make myself clear...

Damien

Last edited: