The BA-3 as preamp build guide

I just completed building a BA-3 preamp and am very impressed with it. It has plenty of gain which I need and sounds excellent. I have build a few nice preamps to compare it with and I am surprised how so few parts can sound so nice. Excellent clarity and soundstage, highly recommended.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
The B1 with the Salas supply is the best if a volume control is all you need. I remember inserting it between a DAC and my amp actually improved the sound, which to me was surprising at yhe time. It has deep black backgrounds. The BA-3 has gain and is a world beater in my opinion. If you need gain, it has to be the BA-3.

Thanks for all the good input guys. It sounds like DC B1 (Mesmerize) and BA3 are both good choices but the BA3 is particularly good with the addition of gain. BTW, so far I have been driving my amp and sub directly from the source using only a 10k pot in between and have no complaints. I guess I'll see how the Mesmerize sounds but the BA3 will be a good next project no matter what the Mesmerize sounds like. I gotta make something! It seems a BA3 pre should be it. BTW, I'd be happy to hear any other opinions if thay are out there. Thanks!

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Hi guys, As a newbie and with the help of the forum, I have completed my first build of the F5T successfully and now have decided to compliment it with a preamp build. Any suggestions on a high quality digital, remote controlled, selector/attenuator that I can use with the BA-3 build as preamp? Initially I was looking at the Goldpoint attenuator which I saw in the 6l6 build guide and is an option but I’m lazy and like the comfort of controlling my pre from my listening position. But if it compromises sound quality, I would probably opt the Goldpoint. Thank you in advance

Hi guys, As a newbie and with the help of the forum, I have completed my first build of the F5T successfully and now have decided to compliment it with a preamp build. Any suggestions on a high quality digital, remote controlled, selector/attenuator that I can use with the BA-3 build as preamp? Initially I was looking at the Goldpoint attenuator which I saw in the 6l6 build guide and is an option but I’m lazy and like the comfort of controlling my pre from my listening position. But if it compromises sound quality, I would probably opt the Goldpoint. Thank you in advance

If you want to take on surface mount components the Muses is the way to go. Muses Volume

If you want to take on surface mount components the Muses is the way to go. Muses Volume

Is it really the way to go? What is the topology of the muses internally? After taking the time and trouble to build a first class pre-amp will it sound the same with a soild state IC volume control in the path?
Perhaps. I don't know.
The earlier B-B and Cirrus volume chips were actually very, very good. But as good as a BA3? And is the Muses the same or any better? Has anyone done any evaluation of the sound quality and, if so, with what equipment? Thanks.

Is it really the way to go? What is the topology of the muses internally? After taking the time and trouble to build a first class pre-amp will it sound the same with a soild state IC volume control in the path?
Perhaps. I don't know.
The earlier B-B and Cirrus volume chips were actually very, very good. But as good as a BA3? And is the Muses the same or any better? Has anyone done any evaluation of the sound quality and, if so, with what equipment? Thanks.

Pass uses the Muses in some of their components so yes it's very good. Lower distortion than a pot or stepped attenuator. Use it with an ultra-low noise power supply.