The BA-3 as preamp build guide

I'm interested in building a BA-3 for a line stage preamp but though I have been reading about it now for several days I just can't track down a BOM , the one on the Store doesn't work for me as it seems to be an update but is missing the main original list and several of the links at the beginning of this thread now get an error message.
So I would be very grateful if someone has the list please.
Also I'm thinking of running it with my Aleph J. Is this a good idea or would it be better with the F4?
Lastly can I use the power supply to run both the Aleph and this BA-3 board or will I need to make a new PSU? If I can use the same PSU maybe I can even fit this in the same box and have an integrated amp, though I think it might be a bit crowded and too hot that way. Instead it would probably be better to take the power out to a separate box and have the Aleph and the BA in together. Does that make sense?
Thanks guys.

I'm interested in building a BA-3 for a line stage preamp but though I have been reading about it now for several days I just can't track down a BOM , the one on the Store doesn't work for me as it seems to be an update but is missing the main original list and several of the links at the beginning of this thread now get an error message.
So I would be very grateful if someone has the list please.
Also I'm thinking of running it with my Aleph J. Is this a good idea or would it be better with the F4?
Lastly can I use the power supply to run both the Aleph and this BA-3 board or will I need to make a new PSU? If I can use the same PSU maybe I can even fit this in the same box and have an integrated amp, though I think it might be a bit crowded and too hot that way. Instead it would probably be better to take the power out to a separate box and have the Aleph and the BA in together. Does that make sense?
Thanks guys.

The link is good, just open the sheet and click the "BOM-PBAGSN-1V20" tab at the bottom. Just downloaded it now and checked it. Also, read NP article and the build guide as well.

Cheers,

Greg

Thanks Mark, I can see that BOM clearly.
The other one that I downloaded does not show what you can see Greg, probably because it's in xl and mine is open office, though that usually translates quite well.
Yes I've read Nelson's article and understood some of it, particularly about the way the bias works, which illustrates why it's a two steps forward and one step back process at the beginning.
Yes the build guide is very clear as well.

I see what you are saying Mark about flexibility but still wondering if I'm going to need a complete new PSU or whether the one I have can drive both units?

My PSU is the standard one from the DIY shop, the universal one that will apparently be good for all Pass amps. So I know I could use it to power the BA-3 if it were a separate unit. It runs a dual 18volt per side Antek 400Volt transformer.
What I don't know is whether it can be used to power both the Aleph-J and the BA3 at once, or if I have to make a new power supply for the BA-3?
Please someone must know this.

My PSU is the standard one from the DIY shop, the universal one that will apparently be good for all Pass amps. So I know I could use it to power the BA-3 if it were a separate unit. It runs a dual 18volt per side Antek 400Volt transformer.
What I don't know is whether it can be used to power both the Aleph-J and the BA3 at once, or if I have to make a new power supply for the BA-3?

As I understand it the BA-3 needs a regulated supply, the standard one in the store isn't regulated.

Yes, you can do this. It will work fine.

For preamp duty it will have better performance with a separate, regulated supply however. But there is no reason why it cannot work using your existing power amp’s 24v supply.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
You could also use a regulator to feed just the BA3 board, connected to the main PSU for the DC source -- the load of the preamp stage would present a insignificant load to the power amp's PSU.

The BA-3 gainstage does not need a regulated supply, but it doesn't hurt.

Keep in mind you will drop volts in the regulator which will decrease your voltage to the preamp below the pass-specified 24v. If your rails sag to 22v then you drop 3 volts in the reg you will only end up with 19v or so. Which probably effect voltage swing of the preamp. Not a big deal but I wouldn’t go below 18v.

Not familiar with that regulator you mentioned. You need a bipolar supply (+ and -). A good example is a lm317/337 supply which is very common.

Well I attempted my first power-up of this amp. PS is putting out 24v + -, P1 and P2 are set to zero ohms as measured between V in and the minus side of C1 and C2. I can't see anything wrong with the build but I'm getting 21v across R10 and R11.

I only left it on for a second and there is no heat or smoke from the mosfets. Any ideas here?

y4mVJIkE3gTYkNjI4lS9hBIYNyq_vzL_mxRMMp4uifW2vcATHFYDToytjtVwVCqEuG1ehBz3O4B8ReOt8lvalS5VdRtdzoVy6iYs6YYB2FvZQs0gt0f9iaDo29Zl0xt23KjHupR3-I2FpCHx7wIqLo211MAhXA4sj4JLhdSg9IzZEJt4ZwOnxJCmeK94tdt1oAOpfrmgBi1Sb6FoQO4IMgcPQ

Now one step closer…...PSUs are ready and now also the BA-3 pre PCB. I noticed that you has the pot screw to the left while I have it to the right. I am quite sure I have mounted the Bourns pots according to schematic with CW and wiper connected to each other. CW is pin 3 (left on picture) on a 3296 (102) Bourns pot. I use Fairchild mosfet so 1k pots. Jfets are a Toshiba quad which I got from the ebay seller with the "funny" name…...

Attachments

• DSC_3697_00001.jpg
    DSC_3697_00001.jpg
    465.5 KB · Views: 405