The BA-3 as preamp build guide

@Dneu2011

Yes, one pot will tend to control the DC-Offset the meter on R12 goes to one side of R12 and the other side of R12, this is your offset voltage. Try and keep the offset down, as you go up, so I crank the bias voltage up then use the other pot to bring down the offset, then up more on the other to bring up the bias, then trim down the offset, rinse and repeat.

Which pot controls the offset? You will see that one of the pot will change the offset a great deal, but make smaller changes on bias. The pot that does the bias will also change the offset, so you go to the other to bring the offset back down and continue. On mine, P1 is the dc offset and P2 is the bias.

Note: the direction you turn to increase bias will be the same. but you might be turning the offset pot one way or the other depending on the meter reading, you might see neg or positive on the meter. What matters is keeping it close to zero.

Also, I assume you mean 400mV not .004mV

Last edited:
Thank you for the help! I attempted to bias the BA3 again this morning but I’m having trouble seeing any DC Offset when monitoring with DMM across R12. I get 0v the whole time I’m adjusting the pots and again can’t get over .400v before I run out of trimmer.

I currently do not have an input or output connected to the board. Do I need to hook these up and add a dummy load? Could that be my problem?

Thank you for the help! I attempted to bias the BA3 again this morning but I’m having trouble seeing any DC Offset when monitoring with DMM across R12. I get 0v the whole time I’m adjusting the pots and again can’t get over .400v before I run out of trimmer.

I currently do not have an input or output connected to the board. Do I need to hook these up and add a dummy load? Could that be my problem?

No, ideally you short the input and it has been stated by 6L6 that it makes it easier to set bias with a load on the output 2-5k, but you can do it without either and it would not prevent you from seeing a dc offset. Why don't you post a close-up of your meter connections to rule out any meter connection errors. Also, get some good shots of the board.

In the picture below the black arrows show the connection point for DC offset and the blue for your bias voltage.

Attachments

• probe.jpg
    probe.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
No, ideally you short the input and it has been stated by 6L6 that it makes it easier to set bias with a load on the output 2-5k, but you can do it without either and it would not prevent you from seeing a dc offset. Why don't you post a close-up of your meter connections to rule out any meter connection errors. Also, get some good shots of the board.

Been awhile, but have 3 BA3 boards operating. seems like I remember a little confusion in offset measuring, isn't offset measured from at the cap and ground? Junction of R12 and C2, and other to ground?

Russellc

Last edited:
Same here. Recent power supply had 2 missing parts. I emailed, but no response.....parts showed up just a few days later. I have ordered from them numerous times, no problems.

Russellc

Ya parts missing on one pcb and I still don't have the power switch ordered on 10/22 now 11/7 and no shipping. He said he shipped it, but what he shipped was another part in the order, so I pointed that out and never heard back. I don't know if it's coming or what. I got tired of waiting and put a toggle switch in the unit.

In the picture below the black arrows show the connection point for DC offset and the blue for your bias voltage.
Thompsontechs, the resistor you labeled for offset is R13. Russellc mentioned using R12 and the ground of C3. I tried this yesterday and see about 8mv of offset. I’ll send a pic once I get home.

Thompsontechs, the resistor you labeled for offset is R13. Russellc mentioned using R12 and the ground of C3. I tried this yesterday and see about 8mv of offset. I’ll send a pic once I get home.

You are correct, I had it wrong, I was looking at R13. I will double check my own as well. I'm new too, so be skeptical of any help I may, "try" and give. :eek:

Joined 2003
Paid Member

Not sure if on same page, one probe at the cap/resistor junction, (which is "before" the cap) the other probe to ground, right? This is for offset, not bias so you are shooting for 0 here, or as close as is manageable.

Russellc

Not sure if on same page, one probe at the cap/resistor junction, (which is "before" the cap) the other probe to ground, right? This is for offset, not bias so you are shooting for 0 here, or as close as is manageable.

Russellc

"Place one voltmeter (Set to DC volts) across R12 - to observe DC offset"

Across R12 see picture. This is how I did it anyway.

Attachments

• R12.jpg
    R12.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 395
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I just finished building a Mezmerize dcb1. The board has a dual polarity power supply and input switching. Just leave out the buffer FETs and up grade the power supply to handle the BA3 .I see it as an elegant solution to input switching and power supply.

That's a really good idea. I'll save matched FETs for other usages.

This moves me back to question: what is min reasonable BA3 supply voltage?
With blue/white leds I'm able to get 16-17 V... is it enough?

It will work. But I think over 20 or 22 would be better.

Also, you need to change the current consumption of the shunt...BA-3 consumes way more current than B1.

Don't use blue leds because noisy, just replace the fifth red led closest to rail per side with 2kOhm rheostats.
Bodge them there. They will give ample voltage range.

You may leave them in or measure what adjust resistance to rail goal each then put resistors in their place.

Its for a 45mA bias per side load. It will not move away from there, no more than few mA on line level loads.
With 18//18 Ohm 2W CC setting resistors you get +/- 200mA standing current limit on a Mez board's PSU section.

BTW Ultrabib is even better. But its not a selector + psu combo like the Mez board. Standalone shunt PSU sections.

Don't use blue leds because noisy, just replace the fifth red led closest to rail per side with 2kOhm rheostats.
Bodge them there. They will give ample voltage range.

You may leave them in or measure what adjust resistance to rail goal each then put resistors in their place.

Thanks for hint. I was not aware that blue leds are not as good as red ones.
I'm using 2SK117 in PSU with Idss ~5.5mA thus will need a bit more than 2k. I hope it's still ok.

What is the trade-off when using resistor to get extra voltage drop instead of leds? Noise, voltage stability?

BTW Ultrabib is even better. But its not a selector + psu combo like the Mez board. Standalone shunt PSU sections.

Already signed up for next GB at Tea-Bag store :)

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes use a higher value trimmer to meet your rail goal given your GR and not BL level Idss.

Trade off is higher impedance in the Vref which the K117 thermals can affect easier than the leds portion of final voltage. But not to a troublesome degree in this case. Leds are active hence stiffer. For noise not bad because the same Vref filter capacitor can filter a higher impedance more effectively.

If Fairchild output devices are used it is recommended in the build guide to use 1k trimmers instead of 500R. I did that and had no problems with bias/offset. If P3 is adjusted after bias/offset it is important to adjust bias/offset again…..as it will drift. So maybe center P3 first (by measurement).

Joined 2003
Paid Member
"Place one voltmeter (Set to DC volts) across R12 - to observe DC offset"

Across R12 see picture. This is how I did it anyway.

See post #45 where 6L6 corrects this instruction. You cannot measure offset "across a resistor"....it is DC on a circuits output, so it is measured at the output and ground.

See also post #23 by Zenmod as explaination. Always good to study entire thread for little details...I think where that instruction was aimed was that as bias is adjusted, offset will wonder, so its a back and forth procedure.

Russellc

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
At 10mA goes a steeper leds curve and you need half extra trimmer value than with 5mA. You only need two JFETS if to replace. Those located at the tail of each five leds chain. They are also connected in series with a 1 or 10 Ohm test point resistor leading to ground.