The BA-3 as preamp build guide

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have ordered an octet. He writes that they are in the 7 mA range.....should be OK I guess (hope)…….

I did the same thing, just discussed it with him first, the "7ma range" he has has some sets closer to 8ma, so I noted for those. I think original article called for 10ma, and a few resistor/pot changes can make a wide range usable. he has them marked on package what measurement they are.

Russellc

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Yes, anything BL grade will work.

Yup, "These JFETs were chosen at Idss
figures of 10 mA (Idss is the current that flows when the Gate and Source are at the same
voltage). If you get lower values, you may want to consider higher values for P1 and P2, say
1 Kohm. They are best matched, but P3 can be adjusted to compensate for some mismatch".

I like to get around 8, everything worked with standard values....

Russellc

BA3 FE is really at its best when mated with BA3 OS , so working in full gain/swing mode

when adjusted to work as line preamp , it's somewhat constipated

so , it's really best to make it as part of power amp , then use anything simple as line stage - even just decent pot or pot plus buffer will work as charm

Or as Papa hints in the BA-3 article, just make it a power amp itself. The Toshibas are good to 25W.

Just wanna share the good news, my BA3 preamp is alive !
Now driving the twin bridged ACA v1.6. I have never hear stuff that came out of my current speakers till now, very musical, much improved clarity and smooth treble.

I m very happy, thanks to Nelson Pass for sharing his design and all whom had contributed in this journey.

I m using 50k Alps volume pot, comfortable listening position with the knob at 11 o’clock position.
After about 2 hours, how come the 4 heatsinks on the mosfet are cold ? Not even a tad warm, bias set at 1v over the 22ohm resistors.
Did I do something wrong ?
But it sounds fine to me musically.