Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

The BA-3 as preamp build guide
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th April 2020, 04:57 PM   #1801
MEGA_amp is offline MEGA_amp
diyAudio Member

Default chassis

the link on page 1 for the "galaxy 388" chassis is dead. What is the recommended chassis in the diyAudio store?

thanks
John
Old 8th April 2020, 05:00 PM   #1802
budwiser is offline budwiser  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA_amp View Post
the link on page 1 for the "galaxy 388" chassis is dead. What is the recommended chassis in the diyAudio store?

thanks
John
I used the Pesante 2U.
Old 8th April 2020, 05:13 PM   #1803
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolo47 View Post
How about 400VA, difference is noticeable! Bigger soundstage and deeper bass.
In a linestage? That would be, well, enormous and heavy. I’d be all for additional PSU filtering before the regulator, but massively oversize transformers seem only to make more magnetic hum issues.

I can’t tell a difference between a 300VA and 400VA transformer in a class-A power amp. YMMV.
Old 8th April 2020, 07:08 PM   #1804
Manolo47 is offline Manolo47  Puerto Rico
diyAudio Member

There is a story behind this. Maybe nostalgic. In the early 80's if I recall right, I had a PSAudio IV full function preamp. It was very good, had a lot of good print at that time.

The story goes that Paul and Stan installed a transformer from an amplifier in a unit they were working or tweaking, though they did not have the stock transformer available.
It was a very big one, suitable for an amplifier. The change for the better in the sound was enough to offer an upgrade for the preamplifier. The PS was an outboard one, so it was easy. I got one. And the difference was impressive. Paul still talks about that adventure in one of his videos. Maybe back then this was a bigger issue because the PS in question was not as sophisticated as the ones used now, you know, regulators, shunts, etc... Allen Wright also mentions this in his book. I had the transformer laying around so I tried it... worked magnificently, no noises, no hum, etc... and as I mentioned I perceived better sound... maybe I'm nostlagic..
Old 8th April 2020, 11:32 PM   #1805
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

I tried that too,not once
.......... however impressive approach , massive Xformer plus crude reg is always worse than proper xformer with proper reg
Old 9th April 2020, 06:06 PM   #1806
analog_sa is offline analog_sa  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
massive Xformer plus crude reg is always worse than proper xformer with proper reg
I beg to differ. No rules apply here, some preamp circuits sound better, at least to me, without any active regulation. A few caps, a few (preferably amorphous) chokes is all it takes. And dual mono of course

Recently tried that recipe with 500VA per channel and the result was rather nice. Certainly nicer than a 300VA transformer with separate L/R secondaries + salas 1.3. Of course YMMV.
Old 9th April 2020, 06:15 PM   #1807
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
Official Court Jester
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
.....Of course YMMV.
follow that

as I'm sayin' - I always prefer a way which is most rattling my cage

Old 9th April 2020, 08:32 PM   #1808
MEPER is offline MEPER  Denmark
diyAudio Member

To reveal what you like about the different PSU approaches it would be interesting to have an amplifier distortion profile of each approach.
Old 10th April 2020, 10:23 AM   #1809
analog_sa is offline analog_sa  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEPER View Post
To reveal what you like about the different PSU approaches it would be interesting to have an amplifier distortion profile of each approach.

In the context of preamps (class A) i expect the difference in distortion profiles due to a different PS to be zilch. A design with 0psrr may show some vague dependence, but not very likely if there is sufficient local decoupling.
Old 13th April 2020, 04:08 PM   #1810
sov is offline sov  Sweden
diyAudio Member

BA3 is warming up at bias ≈890mV. It sounds very controlled and relaxed with fine details. At 90% bias 1V gives 2.5V out. In a few day I will turn up the bias. The FFTs are done with almost no warming up without tinkering with P3s. 1K/1V sine wave from RCA input, so through a 10K pot at minimum resistance. More testing with full bias. Feets and an indicator led is scheduled.

Thank you 6L6 for bildguide, NP for a nice design and everyone else for tributing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ba3_inside.jpg (436.5 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg ba3-pre-front.jpg (199.2 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg BA3_F4.jpg (175.3 KB, 236 views)

The BA-3 as preamp build guideHide this!Advertise here!