Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

The BA-3 as preamp build guide
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd September 2019, 09:07 PM   #1511
seventenths is offline seventenths  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for that Mark. I'm making headway on the case so I'll likely gold off a few days and will ( God willing and the Creek don't rise) show it all up.

Cheers.
Old 4th September 2019, 02:40 AM   #1512
seventenths is offline seventenths  United States
diyAudio Member

Try, try again...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BA3_fe_working.jpg (129.0 KB, 258 views)
Old 11th September 2019, 05:22 PM   #1513
ThermalAlchemy is offline ThermalAlchemy  United States
diyAudio Member

Default I think I made a mistake misunderstanding of the Super Reg

I believe I made a mistake looking back at the beginning of this thread at the photos was not the linear superregulator by Jan Didden. I guess I was not supposed to break the boards in half, though not crucial.

Got a little confused looking at the photo of one singular power board in the build guide on the first page . So without remembering what I read in between the photos that the board in the photos was another manufacture.

My question I did order one of the eBay attenuators because I just could not right now stomach the expense of the (Goldpoint). The photo attached is this the correct attenuator ?.

Another question for the power switch I noticed on the Goldpoint brand switch two small ceramic capacitors I must believe these are to stop possibly some pops or click when switching the power ?. If I was to choose a cheaper switch what size capacitors can I add to it for the same level of protection?.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EE5F7D2C-AFB7-49BC-A645-50F814534BC5.jpg (917.5 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg 52544388-ACC1-4C63-9D06-BD62D7574CE1.jpg (162.7 KB, 195 views)
Old 11th September 2019, 06:30 PM   #1514
budwiser is offline budwiser  United States
diyAudio Member

Why not use same switch as 6L6uses for AC. New AC Selector Switch it has everything you need.
Old 11th September 2019, 10:01 PM   #1515
Hikari1 is offline Hikari1  United States
diyAudio Member

The cap across the switch is to keep the contacts from arcing when switching and eventually burning out. It's entirely optional but if you use one consider one rated for mains duty.

The attenuator is correct, but you don't show the value in your screenshot. Should be 10-50K, 25K probably preferable.
Old 14th September 2019, 07:02 AM   #1516
ThermalAlchemy is offline ThermalAlchemy  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Opps, the SuperReg PSU needs A separate DC Supply ? Ouch!!!

Getting closer but ran into one small obstacle to overcome, other than waiting for the unobtainium fets to come into stock at DIY store.

On the first page of this thread just under the schematic. First paragraph stating the use of a “317\337 linear regulator power supply from Tubecad.com (Model PS-12)”.
Then make a note that you can use the super regulator in the DIY audio store and I took this route because I only wanted to make as few orders with as few companies as possible.
Now that I have all my parts and started populating I just noticed on the super regulator boards it says (DC in) !!!. Jumping back to the first page I took a closer detailed look at the glassware power supply noticed it had diode‘s for rectifying on the same board.
The super regulators do not. Since I want to stay with a somewhat clean professional look instead of me making up a tiny full bridge rectifier Out of perff board. Can somebody recommend me a premade circuit board to give me the correct reference DC V to the superReg boards.

Now I see why you would choose the glassware all in one solution easier and much cheaper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (989.2 KB, 87 views)
Old 14th September 2019, 01:41 PM   #1517
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

This will work nicely -

Rectifier Filter Power Supply Board Amplifier Dual Power PCB Bare Board | eBay

The BA-3 as preamp build guideHide this!Advertise here!