Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

The BA-3 as preamp build guide
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2019, 05:50 PM   #1351
MEPER is offline MEPER  Denmark
diyAudio Member

The other channel I was able to adjust just a fraction better.

THD = 0.0035%, THD+N = 0.0084%

Here 2nd and 3rd are almost equal. If I leave it there for now I don't hope the small channel difference will destroy the "imaging" or make it sound bad...….

Should it be possible to zero out the 2nd harmonic completely?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3919.jpg (194.5 KB, 168 views)
Old 10th February 2019, 05:53 PM   #1352
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

0.00anything is really, really good.

A cleaner signal generator will likely do nothing, it’s the relationship between H2 and H3 that you are looking for. (And you found it very well!)
Old 10th February 2019, 05:53 PM   #1353
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

You cannot null it completely away. Just set the relationships.
Old 10th February 2019, 06:02 PM   #1354
diyAudio Member

It was a wrong image on the last one. Here are for both channels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3949_00001.jpg (270.0 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_3950_00001.jpg (257.2 KB, 163 views)
Old 10th February 2019, 06:02 PM   #1355
Russellc is offline Russellc  United States
diyAudio Member

6L6, I'm dieing to know, what is change up after listening to low distortion for a while? This info is great, When I started P3 measurement for the average hobbyist thread, it was BA3 I was interested in working with! (Both FE version and full BA3 power amp. Please carry on!

Russellc
Old 10th February 2019, 06:05 PM   #1356
diyAudio Member

MEPER, is it possible to show your entire hook up routine using the Focusrite with BA3? I still haven't gotten beyond installing ARTA and would like to get all the bits together as you have.

Many thanks,

Russellc
Old 10th February 2019, 06:26 PM   #1357
diyAudio Member

Yes, my setup looks like that on the picture. When you use Arta with internal generator the signal comes out at the back of FocusRite. From the back I connect to the input of the pre and the output from pre I connect to the input of the FocusRite. Then you have to find the right amount of internal damping of the test generator (I set to -3dB) combined with the right amount of monitor, input sensitivity of FocusRite and Volumen control of the pre :-)
Before that you have to find adapters that works so you can connect to RCA from FocusRite. I have spend some time with that and also playing with Arta and loopback test. First step is to be able to make a loop back test and play with Arta (spectrum analyzer) and learn how it works. I will say now after measuring that it is mandatory to adjust P3 as before that the distortion was 5-10 times higher than after the adjustment. Will see after a listening test if I can hear a difference. Then later I can adjust to more dominant 2nd harmonic…….if I want.

I did not recheck bias and offset.....maybe P3 could change these settings……?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3951_00001.jpg (436.4 KB, 153 views)
Old 10th February 2019, 06:35 PM   #1358
diyAudio Member

Thanks, I will ask more when I get all the stuff. what did you need to get cable wise to hook this up?

I may as well order them while I am sitting here.

Thanks!

Russellc
Old 10th February 2019, 06:59 PM   #1359
diyAudio Member

I use jack to RCA on both input and output of FocusRite. They comes in many variations. The one that worked for me is a "mono jack" to RCA. Something like this (but it was not actual that one…..but will probably work as I think these can be wired in only one way).
Monoprice 1/4in (6.35mm) TS Mono Plug to RCA Jack Adapter, Gold Plated (Yellow plastic center) - Monoprice.com
Old 10th February 2019, 10:33 PM   #1360
diyAudio Member

Thanks, I may have stuff to cobble them, if not these look great. Post your results, I understand the predominate 2nd order distortion adds some meat to the bones, other way quick and clean, but a "thinner" balance.

Thanks again,

Russellc

The BA-3 as preamp build guideHide this!Advertise here!