The BA-3 as preamp build guide

If your first BA-3 works without issue - there must be something wrong with this one. Either the amp or the attenuator.
You can start with the voltage measurents mentioned earlier. If the attenuator attenautes more than it should or the amp has less gain than expected you know where to look. You can generate test tones for measurement here: tone generator or use a smartphone if you have no function generator function generator app

You can also make comparative measurements with the working BA-3 or switch the attenuators. Maybe some resistors are the wrong value (R10,R11,R13 -maybe 60 intead of 600 or so)

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Chip, Check the value of R2 on your BA-3 board. It looks like yellow violet black gold brown, which is 47 Ohm. R2 should be 47k Ohm.

If you don't have a 47k, you can put in a higher value.

Attachments

• R2 value.jpg
    R2 value.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 102
Reactions: 3 users
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Chip, Check the value of R2 on your BA-3 board. It looks like yellow violet black gold brown, which is 47 Ohm. R2 should be 47k Ohm.

Great catch Ben! That would certainly do it.

Chip: Please check R2 as Ben suggested. If R2 = 47 ohm and R1=1k then R1 and R2 gives you about -27dB attenuation...

Ben,

Thanks so much for finding this error.

You are correct. I checked on my purchase order for these resistors: 47Ohm not 47K were purchased.

I will replace them.

I will retain the 10K input resistors on the Khozmo board.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Ben, you should use that image for your identity in the forum. Or we can call you 'old eagle eyes,' which may be offensive since I don't know your age.

The Pre is born. What a journey. Learned a lot [even though this was my 2nd BA-3], veered near the edge but was always pulled back just in time.
Thanks again to Ben and everyone in this great forum [just one of sooo many].

Joined 2005
Paid Member
This is strange.

I've built two BA-3 amps, let's call them BA1 and BA2.

My source is a Node to an ANK DAC 5.1 that I built a year ago.

My amp is a M2X.

When I feed BA1 via this system all is good.

When I feed BA2 with this system, the right channel comes in about 50% to the left in volume.

When I take the DAC 5.1 out of system to the BA2 and feed the Node to BA2, all is good.

So the DAC 5.1 works with BA1, but not BA2.

I've checked all the connections.

I've run this series of tests multiple times.

The only major difference between BA1 and BA2 is the Khozmo attenuator [which ANK uses in their preamp kit].

I have used two different sets of interconnects.

I have no idea what is going on.

Just want to sit and listen to music at the end of the BA-3[2] build adventure [whine, whine].

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited: