new SiC JFETs?

Quickly (at Work) perusing the datasheet I notice: Vgs max? Usually that is controlled by oxide thickness in a MOSFET (a dielectric, but, a sheety thin low voltage one) that is bi directional, I'ts not?
Pd @25C on the low side, especially considering this is SiC?
Operating, j and Storage temp? Are you sure this is SiC?
Low Transconductance?
Lower C figures compared to most parts we use but, it goes wonky below the typical Rail Voltage.
So there you have it. Anybo0dy notice any other benefits or detractions from playing with it like it's a MOSFET?

:Pawprint:

I had a look at the USC web site, and the devices they show there are extremely similar to Semisouth's SiC jfets, down to the leaky gate. The 80mohm device would be a good candidate for resurrecting my "SiC Pupply" amp design (with some improvements).

USC had posted datasheets for similar devices a couple of years ago in MIL-type packages, but pulled the information pretty quickly. Perhaps they realized they were a bit premature, and took some extra time to get their process under control - a wise move, as other companies whose names I won't mention lost their behinds in a similar situation.

The price is right (well, OK), and it now looks like you can order the parts directly from USC via their web site. I may try a few.

I've been thinking of using some Cree SiC mosfets in a tube emulation project with transformer coupled output. A high power push-pull design might be interesting. A single ended design similar to the "Das Ist Aber Schade" project would be fairly easy and possibly quite rewarding. The original circuit using 800V ST mosfets (an Electronic Goldmine score) acquitted itself well on the bench, though it never got built up all the way with case, etc. That amp is sitting in the basement shy an output transformer (stolen for the SiCPuppy).

One thing I'll do before I post new designs is juggle transformer ratio vs power dissipation for a given B+ voltage to find the right transformer to optimize output power.

I have a local source for reasonably inexpensive toroidal isolation transformers with dual primaries and secondaries, so I want to base a couple of single-ended designs on the rectified and filtered output of a 115 to 230V step-up XFMR. This will give a B+ of approximately 320VDC. I'm optimistically assuming that I can get 300V of signal out of the fet before it bottoms out.

For a transformer coupled SE amp, a useful equation is Vp/(sqrt RL*n) = (Pmax/B+)*sqrtRL*n. Vp is the peak primary voltage excursion, RL is the load impedance, n is the XFMR turns ratio (np/ns), Pmax is the max allowable device dissipation, and B+ is the B+ supply voltage.

You can rearrange the equation to solve for n. I plugged in Vp = 300V, RL = 8 ohms, Pmax = 30W, and B+ = 320V. For these numbers, n is exactly 20, meaning a 3000 to 3300 ohm primary transformer is about right for the job.

I have both some Transcendar 3k transformers and some One Electron UBT-3s (also 3k). I also have some Quicksilver 3300 ohm monsters, but I'm going to save those for a more exalted purpose. Whatever transformer I use should have at least a 100ma capability to squeeze the maximum juice out of the fet in question.

From the numbers presented above, max RMS power at clipping is about 14W, assuming I get everything I want.

In retrospect, both the One Electron and Transcendar 3k transformers claim a 100ma current capability, so either are candidates for an SiC SE tube emulation project. There are possibly/ probably better candidates out there, but the best transformer for the job is the one you have on hand...

The Cree C2M1000170D looks interesting because of its lowish input capacitance, true. I haven't checked, but it possibly has a lower thermal resistance than a part of similar capacitance. The question is, is there any special linearity magic to be had with this part, or is it just an overpriced IRF610?