F5Turbo Illustrated Build Guide

Joined 2002
Paid Member
My mistake: Apparently I couldn't divide 32 by 3. Somehow I thought it was higher. :)

There's arguably a bit more linearity with the jfets at a higher voltage. (Obviously
not too high since that's the whole point of the cascode). With 32V rails,
your original 10k should be fine even as long as you're not using V-grade jfets.

There's no change in gain.

So I've done all of these interconnects in 20ga Dueland wire. Should some of these be a larger gauge? Like the Output and Ground?

Attachments

• PXL_20210722_112830856.jpg
    PXL_20210722_112830856.jpg
    618.6 KB · Views: 167
to jamesvhf #1271

Hello jamesvhf,

I have built F5T -V3-Monoblocks. They run on +-42.8V. Each Monoblock has a 1000 W toroid and some caps....

Excellent poweramps with my electrostatic Loudspeakers (Audiostatic ES300R)!
I use an active crossover for the sub at 80Hz. BA-3 poweramp is driving the subwoofer (JBL 15 inch).

Cheers
Dirk

Attachments

• F-5T-Monoblocks_BA-3.jpg
    F-5T-Monoblocks_BA-3.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 200
  • F5T and Audiostatic ES300R.jpg
    F5T and Audiostatic ES300R.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 207
to jamesvhf #1275

Good morning jamesvhf,

a Plitron with 625 W and sec. AC output of 2x 30V AC will be absolutely enough. (My transformers are also 2 x 30 V AC out)

Rule-of-thumb: multiply your sec. AC V of the toroid with 1.3 to 1.4.
So you will 'land' anywhere between +-39V and +-43V DC after the cap bank.
I have a CRC- filter. It also depends on the values of your resistors between the caps.
Greets
Dirk :D

Very impressive system Dirk. I don't normally associate a Class A with electrostatics due to the power requirements. Or with a sub amp for that matter for the same reason. I'm sure it sounds great. I'm now thinking Honey Badger to power a pair of OB subs to compliment my F5 and F5T that will power my LX-Mini system. This DIY thing never stops, does it? Or I hope it doesn't.

Last edited:
Very impressive system Dirk. I don't normally associate a Class A with electrostatics due to the power requirements. Or with a sub amp for that matter for the same reason. I'm sure it sounds great. I'm now thinking Honey Badger to power a pair of OB subs to compliment my F5 and F5T that will power my LX-Mini system. This DIY thing never stops, does it? Or I hope it doesn't.

in my humble opinion, the honey badger for a sub is just waist of a fantastic amp. Also, a 5 pair slewmaster would do the job better. For sub use you don't need anything more fancy then class D. I use hypex amps for sub use, and 5ch of honey badger for front, center and back (soon to be 7ch of honey badger).