F5Turbo Illustrated Build Guide

I'm planning on an F5T v2 (pretty much copying 6L6's build guide - thanks 6L6) and am getting my parts together. There are enough posts on components but I was struggling to work out which standoffs and M3 hex socket bolts I need. I looked on Mouser and there were a lot of them to say the least. The diystore kit is out. I was planning on using the 5U chassis pre-tapped from the diystore.

Is someone able to assist in pointing me to the right parts in mouser for mounting the PCBs and PSU?

One PSU v3 circuit board per amplifier will be fine.

Hi 6L6,

I do not understand how 1 PSU Board will be enough for 2 monoblocks.

Otherwise it might work if to build an external PSU box to feed 2 monoblocks....
If to build 2 chassis, when each mono channel requires +/GND/-.
In other hand, if I"ll split PSU PCB, then I'll have one piece +/GND and the other piece GND/-.
So, I need 2 PSU PCBs KITs in order to feed 2 monoblocks.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Thank you.
Alex

Last edited:
to be monoblocks, the two monoblocks MUST be electrically isolated from each other.

This requires separate chassis and separated PSU.

The absolute minimum for separated PSU is a 4secondary transformer with two completely separated Power Ground/Zero Volt.

Agree!
How about that one?: AN-5225 - 500VA 25V Transformer - AnTek Products Corp
They have 600VA, 800VA and even 1000VA , but all are out of stock now.
500VA should be more then enough for 1 monoblock with 100W.

you will need a 2x35V transformer to Reach 100W average at 8ohm.
and 600VA will be minimum recommended.

Hold on...
It is something wrong about your calculations.
It is +/- 32V DC recommended for that amp.
If I'll use transformer with 35V for secondary, then my DC out from PSU will be about 46-48V DC (35*1.4 -1.2 = 47.8V).

Also, how did you get to 600W min for one channel?

Thank you.

+/-32VDC is for V2. not V3.
transformer rating should be absolout minimum 2x total Power dissipation.
2x35V transformer will give you around +/-45VDC under load. Bias will need to be 2.5A
45x2.5x2=225W + dissipation in transformer. rectifiers, PSU and the rest of the circuit.

Are you disagree with 6L6 manual?:
"A stereo F-5T v2 requires a bipolar power supply of (+/- 32V). This will require an 24V+24V (or 48V Center Tapped) transformer from 600-800VA, and PSU capacitance of 80,000uF per rail or more. The F-5T v3 will require two of the above PSU. (One for each monoblock.)"

Just realized my confusion. The build guide features a Version3 FE board along with Version 2.0 output boards. I take it since no once has replied that C1 on the version 2.0 output board is C3 on the schematic. Alas there is no high rez pic of the Version 3.0 output board so not sure what is labelled.

Still would like to know the size of the holes.

Anyone??

The boards you have featured say Version 2.2 while the store boards presently available are V3.0. What is the difference and is a clear picture of the V3.0 boards posted somewhere?

Where are C3 and C4 as on the schematic? Is it labelled C1 on the output boards?

Can I fit a 14AWG stranded wire in the OP holes and G holes on the FE and output boards? Or perhaps you can say what the hole size is?

Thanks.

I don't have any way to measure, but the holes you are asking about are not all that big - probably 18-16ga or the metric equivalent.

Just seem a bit small for such a high power amp. I would have liked to use 14AWG stranded wire thruout but I guess it is not possible.
Perhaps you can say whether a 14AWG solid Romex commonly used in homes in the US fits or does not. That would be helpful. Thanks.

Just seem a bit small for such a high power amp. I would have liked to use 14AWG stranded wire thruout but I guess it is not possible.
Perhaps you can say whether a 14AWG solid Romex commonly used in homes in the US fits or does not. That would be helpful. Thanks.

I have the older V2 of the boards.
You can use 14awg solid core on the +ve -ve and G of the power input.
And you can use 14awg solid core on FE board.
Stranded 14awg, no way. but you can use 15.5awg stranded