Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

F5Turbo Illustrated Build Guide
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2018, 10:43 PM   #341
joesch1999 is offline joesch1999  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Help Please

Does the F5 turbo need a high gain pre amp? I have very faint audio with my adcom pre amp hooked up
Old 6th February 2018, 12:25 AM   #342
Keremito is offline Keremito  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't think so. I was using mine with a mesmerized buffer (gain=1) with power hungry speakers. They played loud in a room 15 x 22 ft. Something is not right. Is your amp getting hot? measure the voltage across the output resistors, what are yo getting?
Old 6th February 2018, 12:51 AM   #343
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

The F5 has fairly normal gain. If you are only hearing a very faint signal, something isn't right.

Please post a good number well-lit, in-focus photos of your amp and we'll start the de-bugging process .

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesch1999 View Post
Does the F5 turbo need a high gain pre amp? I have very faint audio with my adcom pre amp hooked up

Last edited by 6L6; 6th February 2018 at 12:56 AM.
Old 6th February 2018, 01:15 AM   #344
Keremito is offline Keremito  United States
diyAudio Member

First guess, when you put together the front end board, the one with the the 170/74 jfets, did you connect "ground" and "link" with a piece of wire?
Old 6th February 2018, 01:16 AM   #345
6L6 is offline 6L6  United States
diyAudio Moderator

This -

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 6th February 2018, 09:55 AM   #346
diyAudio Member

Default Ground link

I have a input jack that has a ground, should it be grounded to the case and not in the ground hole?
Old 6th February 2018, 10:07 AM   #347
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
The F5 has fairly normal gain. If you are only hearing a very faint signal, something isn't right.

Please post a good number well-lit, in-focus photos of your amp and we'll start the de-bugging process .
Well somehow the gate resistors in all my boards ended up being 100 ohm looked back at my order from digi key and I ordered 47.5 ohm, found the plastic bag they sent it said 47.5 ohms but the resistors are 100 ohm, so thatís my main problems darn transistors are not turning on. Trying again 😬.

One more question the link part, should my ground on input be connected to the case and not to the ground hole? When you said single ended , I thought that meant a input that had no ground.
Old 6th February 2018, 10:10 AM   #348
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keremito View Post
I don't think so. I was using mine with a mesmerized buffer (gain=1) with power hungry speakers. They played loud in a room 15 x 22 ft. Something is not right. Is your amp getting hot? measure the voltage across the output resistors, what are yo getting?
None lol the gate resistors are 100 ohm and not 47.5, first mistake Iíve ever seen digi key do. I hope there wouldnít be other problems caused by trying to run it like that?
Old 6th February 2018, 10:50 AM   #349
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
R.I.P.

Quote:
I have a input jack that has a ground, should it be grounded to the case and not in the ground hole?
Do you have an input jack that has two conductor connections, i.e. Signal Flow/Hot and Signal Return/Cold?
or
has it got three conductor connections, i.e. Signal Flow/Hot, Signal Return/Cold and chassis/enclosure?
Old 6th February 2018, 10:54 AM   #350
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
R.I.P.

Quote:

One more question the link part, should my ground on input be connected to the case and not to the ground hole? When you said single ended , I thought that meant a input that had no ground.
your previous post and this one show that your use of the "ground" word is confusing you.
I suggest that each time you read "ground" you work out what the Designer/Builder actually meant and ascribe the correct term for that connection/terminal/wire/trace.

The "ground" word gets misused a lot and for everything and as a result it causes much confusion.
Try to avoid that confusion.

F5Turbo Illustrated Build GuideHide this!Advertise here!